Really stuck! Please help with advice

Cedrusangelantica

Hello all :)

I'm a 20 year old female who has studied Arboriculture for 3 years -I have a few diplomas (the highest being level 3 diploma in Arboriculture)

I am currently working a boring call centre job to pay bills because although I'm desperate to get into the tree consultancy industry I have no idea how to go about it!

I do not have any contacts and I really would love some advice on how to get into arb surveyancing -would it be worth me getting a degree or higher level qualification ? And if so which one?

Or would it be best to start by shadowing?

I am so stuck and I would love to hear your ideas

Hi

Level 3 will cover you for risk surveys and get you an interview as a local authority junior tree officer, possibly junior consultant.

For planning and mortgage reports you will really need L4 or L6, you may get away with the old tech cert which was accredited at L3 but in reality was pitched at a higher level in my opinion. For info, mortgage and planning reports account for probably 90% of my work so you need to work toward that if you are serious.

Level 6 diploma through treelife would be my advice as that is what I did and its life changing when it comes to doing consultancy. If you wish to kick on an do expert witness work which is the natural progression you will be pitching yourself against others with L6 dip or degrees anyway so its worth doing. You can do the L4 and L6 as you work which is a bonus.

Have you had a look on arbjobs.com? There are a dozen or so consultant / surveyor jobs on there at the moment. Most asking for L3.

Hope this helps but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Cheers and good luck