ISA acredditations

davefal

Hey guys,

Who's got an ISA Board Certified Master Arborist ticket out there? I'm working through the European Tree Technician program, which has a direct transfer agreement with the ISA at that level. I'm looking at going home to Ontario in a couple of years, and want to know where that designation will put me in the industry position-wise, and if it could justify the move back. Is this more of a consultant/customer service/management level designation? How well recognised is it, particularly in North America?

Cheers,

Gavin

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....dunno!

I rate the 'ISA Certified Arborist' qualification very highly and would suggest the contrary in terms of UK recognition. Albeit we had a range of level 2 'arbs quals' existing at the time it became available, eg City & Guilds Phase II Arb / RFS Cert Arb / NC Arb, and hence didn't readily take off perhaps.

Who knows what the future holds? :001_huh:

Cheers..

Paul

I did ISA and NC Arb back in the mid and late 90's respectively and I would put them at about the same, so L2 in my view. I don't think its anywhere near tech cert but then again I don't think the ND arb is either. Probably why the new version of TC is considered to be L4. It always was in my opinion. I remember having the same conversation with the treelife team about 10 years ago and they were of the same opinion.

Paul, would you put the ISA Cert with Level II of...V? VI? in the UK?

I thought it was hot stuff when I got it in 1992. But like many peers (all with their biases of course) I've seen it seem to lose rigor and credibility.

I got ISA's Board Cert in 2004, and saw the member number of BCMAs stagnate in the 400s for years. Now it's getting overhauled, with much concern here that it too will be dumbed down for $.

I/USA is dominated by US corporations, and dedicated to milking the nutritionless cash cow called TRAQ. But like I said I'm biased (in favor of rigor, and arboriculture, and against vegetation management), and maybe just a tad jaded!

dave the attached are fyi; much more on my website fwiw

As we like to over complicate in the UK there are actually 9 levels. To complicate further these are 1-8, with an entry level on the bottom. No idea what would be wrong with 1-9!

Entry - 2 is high school.

2-3 is further education. (it does overlap)

4 - 6 is higher education with degree being L6.

7 is MSc and post grad dip.

8 is PhD.

I've always fancied a go at the ISA master arb. Where does that sit on your framework?

You not a fan of TRAQ then?