Euroarb.....Have your say!

Steve Bullman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More articles on old kit and new kit.

Do's and don'ts with machinery.

Have a regular "day in the life of" section covering all levels, the groundie, climber, manager, supplier, office team, client officer etc.

Updates on the law, ie - red diesel, waste carrier licence, waste transfer tickets, vehicle regs and so on.

Medical hints and tips.

Readers correspondance.

Money issues like vat rules, PAYE.

Emploment issues.

Shows or events to visit.

I agree with most of the comments in this thread. So I didn't post them up here I e-mailed them directly to the magazine. Apparently, I was the only direct contact they had as a result of the thread. If those of you who want to review kit for a magazine tell them. Then I think you stand a good chance of being able to do it, wherever you are in the country. I guess the same is true of the article writing - something bugs you then try speaking to the magazine. Even having a moan is better than being quiet about it. You don't get what you want by not telling the people who can give it to you what it is do you?

I was surprised at the response to the email, in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to write the gear junkies column in essential arb from no.1 through to..Years later.I got some free stuff, Which i had to beg for and some I had to send or give back! I used to get pocket money for the photos, but never got paid for the writing. A review column is quite tough especially when you slag off sub-standard kit and the manufacturer puts pressure on the magazine for an apology and wants (and gets) free advertising. Elten Boots anyone!? I kept the pressure on the editor to create a magazine full of inspiring and sexy pictures of tree work, to have great climbing tips from those at the top of the competition ladder, for a letters/comments page. I wanted a square spine monthly mag with a page count close to FHM. A rockin cover shot and loads of impartial gear reviews. I also wanted the writers to be paid union rates. The cover price of £4 I thought would, with the advertising, off set the wages. Those of you who are familiar with essential arb will know just how disappointing the mag became. to be honest even at it's peak it was poor. The more articles about subsidence and RPZ, the more boring it becomes. A magazine needs to reflect what attracted us all to it in the first place (in my case it was adrenalin) as well as informing us about H&S and less exciting consultancy led articles.I'd love to do it again but a mans gotta live.

I would like to see before and after pics of real jobs.

equiptment tried to destruction.

all the latest gear being tested.

chipper vs chipper real actual tests not just to bo ho lox.

stihl impact tests on saws.

rope snap tests things that would be a good read we all know hse is a joke and its a run away train i guess to safest way to be a tree surgeon is stay at home if hse get there own way.

:wave:

I thought that section in that magazine was a spoof! didn't realise you were being serious, oh well..takes all sorts suppose.

You had to be able to read the words as well to fully understand the column. Bless.

• 4 weeks later...