Phytophthora infecting Noble Firs??

stevelucocq

Hi, I was involved with the dismantling operation of a large Noble fir a few weeks ago. The whole tree was dead with needles turned brown. On breaking down the main stem I noticed a red/brown colouration to the cork cambium. I have read up on types of Phytophthora infecting Noble Firs and alarm bells started to ring. Anyone else with any similar observations or concerns?:ohmy:

Cheers Steve

Hi, it was in a local park (more like a country park) with a broad range of native trees and exotics. It has a past history of Phytophthora infection on Ponticum and has a wide range of Rhodo species. Defra have been notified and it will be interesting to see what the results are. Any info to share?

Edited by stevelucocq
spelling

Hi, I was involved with the dismantling operation of a large Noble fir a few weeks ago. The whole tree was dead with needles turned brown. On breaking down the main stem I noticed a red/brown colouration to the cork cambium. I have read up on types of Phytophthora infecting Noble Firs and alarm bells started to ring. Anyone else with any similar observations or concerns?:ohmy:

Cheers Steve

could the tree have been diseased with Seiridium cardinale by any chance ?? a few of the symptoms are similar , but only a thought tho :001_smile:

could the tree have been diseased with Seiridium cardinale by any chance ?? a few of the symptoms are similar , but only a thought tho :001_smile:

hi I checked out:

AIE - Pest & Disease - Coryneum Canker

And I am not sure. It could be but I am not convinced.

Cheers as this is one I need to know for the Tech Cert exam!:thumbup:

Guys

You can safely rule out coryneum canker as the cause. Even if they can infect noble firs, they mainly cause disfiguement through branch death. Even the highly suspcetible monterery cypress will often survive for many years with the fungus present.

It sounds like this noble fir was a large tree. For coryneum canker to kill a species not associated with the disease by girdling a large main stem and killing the entire tree would seem to be unlikely...

From what you have described it sounds like a catostrophic root dysfunction by some cause.

How long had the tree been dead? Was it recent do you think? If so it could have an abiotic cause such as a lightening strike. Remember a tree can be killed by lightening without showing outside symptoms such as blown out bark etc. I have seen this on a huge oak on a development site when I worked in the south east. None other than Dr Gilies Biddle confirmed the cause!!!

Of course the phytophthora theory may very well be the answer.

Cheers dudes

Hi thanks for the replies...

Tech Cert

Ok the tech cert is a very good course of what I feel is a high standard with a lot to get to grips with.. Going into it I had a background of Science and a good understanding of arb work with a pretty good knowledge of Trees and Fungi. I would say I have not done it the best way as I studied via an online college course for the main information that was so so. It was ok preparation for the written papers but for the management exercise they offered no real preparation. I have attended the 3 day tree life course to prepare for the Management exercises which was a really eye opener of what is expected (The Tree Life course was very well run). I have been trying to gain as much experience to prepare but feel I have still have a fair way to go. I would suggest that a day release type course would offer a better learning experience. Post me and I can give you more information if you are interested.

Noble Fir

Interesting idea about the lighting. I think the whole tree went pretty quick (Brown needles) and was around 25 metres in height and did have a full healthy crown. They are situated slightly higher than small trees surrounding them. They are a wide group of 4 Noble Firs and the other smaller firs are starting to look like they are in a similar decline. The next time I am down there I will have a good look about and take some pictures.

Cheers for the Interest Steve