About to pull the trigger on a DR brush mower

spandit

Fancy buying a DR Power PRO-XL 26 20ES as it should get the grass low enough for my Snapper ride on to cope with (see http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/landscaping/91678-ride-mower-wont-cut-long-damp-grass.html) and I can also use it to cut through the brambles, bracken, rushes and willow on my vast country estate (10 acres). I know there are plenty of other makes out there (Scag, Attila, Billy-Goat etc.) but these seem fairly well priced and my local dealer isn't far away. Should be manoeuvrable enough to use amongst the trees.

I'd be getting it from P&P Estates in Uckfield (Garden Machinery From PP Estates Sussex UK | DR Pro-XL 26 Field & Brush Mower - although this is the older model shown, the latest one is more powerful Briggs & Stratton)

Fancy buying a DR Power PRO-XL 26 20ES as it should get the grass low enough for my Snapper ride on to cope with (see http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/landscaping/91678-ride-mower-wont-cut-long-damp-grass.html) and I can also use it to cut through the brambles, bracken, rushes and willow on my vast country estate (10 acres). I know there are plenty of other makes out there (Scag, Attila, Billy-Goat etc.) but these seem fairly well priced and my local dealer isn't far away. Should be manoeuvrable enough to use amongst the trees.

I'd be getting it from P&P Estates in Uckfield (Garden Machinery From PP Estates Sussex UK | DR Pro-XL 26 Field & Brush Mower - although this is the older model shown, the latest one is more powerful Briggs & Stratton)

I've had a DR for 5 years, cracking bit of kit for long grass and weeds but crap for brambles higher than knee height. It tends to ride over them crushing them flat. Bought the finishing mower deck last year and this gives an excellent cut but is a bit of a bugger changing decks over if you are your own.

I've had a DR for 5 years, cracking bit of kit for long grass and weeds but crap for brambles higher than knee height. It tends to ride over them crushing them flat. Bought the finishing mower deck last year and this gives an excellent cut but is a bit of a bugger changing decks over if you are your own.

Oh dear, I was hoping to use it on brambles. What's it like on bracken?

I'm hoping it will cut the grass low enough that my ride on will cope so I shouldn't need the finishing deck

Oh dear, I was hoping to use it on brambles. What's it like on bracken?

I'm hoping it will cut the grass low enough that my ride on will cope so I shouldn't need the finishing deck

On bracken it's ok as long as it isn't too wet. Wet grass isn't a problem though. It cuts to 4 inches and is suitable to go over with a ride on. I used to use a rear engine Snapper, only 10 hp but would fly through most grass if you took your time.

What I will advise you to do with a DR is to bin the tiny battery and fit a ride on size one, woefully under powered. The electric clutch which engages the cutting blade uses so much and you only realise when it won't engage. Also they advise you to run the engine for a minimum of 45 minutes to recharge the battery. I've been caught out so many times, usually 2 hours or more from home. Even if you slave start from a vehicle it doesn't last but enough is put in to enable you to get the mower in the van. As to using it in brambles, it will get tangled and you have a hell of a job reversing out. I bought an ancient Turner flail mower for brambles, I cut with a hedge cutter attachment on a Combi then run over with the Turner to mulch it all up. Strongly advise you to rethink the idea of a DR on high brambles.