Shrapnel wound while splitting with maul.

pyro_John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - not a good idea to hammer on the head of a maul,

If we get a stuck head we tend to throw the whole thing into the air i.e. lift the log off the ground with the maul, invert it at the top of the throw and bring the top of the maul head down onto the splitting block - the log will either split or fly off.

If the log is too big then pick up another log and throw it onto the end of the maul shaft

cheers

mac

I've just been doing that out the back, the force of the round coming down on the maul is incredibly powerful. I used to use grenades but only do now on site to half monstrous rounds for carrying out.

Agreed with turning it over and knocking the wood off the maul. However, if it's a big heavy lump with the maul stuck in it I often just lift the maul handle 3 or 4 inches to tip the block up then smack the wood single handed with the lump hammer. Does the same job without juggling and balancing a big lump on an upside down maul.

• 2 weeks later...

Update after 2 weeks - can't believe how well this has healed. After a week I could walk downstairs fairly normally. Pretty much got my normal range of movement back now and have been splitting plenty more rounds. Although I leave the sledgehammer well alone!

Just my good luck that some poor bugger broke their hip and I got bumped off the surgery list two weeks ago tonight. Think things would have been a lot slower if it had been taken out, would just be getting the stitches out.

As George of the Jungle would have said: "John just lucky I guess"

Update after 2 weeks - can't believe how well this has healed. After a week I could walk downstairs fairly normally. Pretty much got my normal range of movement back now and have been splitting plenty more rounds. Although I leave the sledgehammer well alone!

Just my good luck that some poor bugger broke their hip and I got bumped off the surgery list two weeks ago tonight. Think things would have been a lot slower if it had been taken out, would just be getting the stitches out.

As George of the Jungle would have said: "John just lucky I guess"

Hi john sounds a night mere mate thanks Jon