camellia chlorosis?

Dean O

Hi guys.

was asked about a camellia in a clients garden today and gave a little hesitant advice but told them I'd ask around for some confirmation/ further advice.

apologies no picture... but

yellowing leaves in general, some retaining green veins, die back on periphery of 'canopy', and lots of black staining on leaves.

I've suggested cholorosis and iron deficiency, with the black staining being from aphid or scale damage/ honeydew...

the soil in the garden is generally acidic - looking around at the other plants in the garden - which all seem pretty healthy, but this is next to an old out building and I'm wondering whether there's some lime getting to the soil from the old walls causing a problem with iron uptake??

its an old large specimen in an old manor house and they wish to try and bring it back.

what would you guys prescribe? any particular fertilisers?

I also suggested a sugar water solution may give it a boost (maybe a long shot but couldn't hurt?), I know there's been some work with wood chip from species high in sugars used - but mulching the ground here wouldn't be suitable, and I'm sure I've read of someone using a sugar solution as a soil ameliorant to boost soil microbes/ mycorrhizae

an one used a sugar water mix with good outcomes - any one know of a suitable proportion sugar to water?

they suggested pruning to rejuvenate but I don't think this approach is ever a good idea personally.

thanks for any advice guys

Yellowing leaves with green veins sounds like magnesium deficiency. But, very common with camellia is manganese and iron deficiency caused by the soil pH being to alkaline. If feasible over winter replace soil around it with ericacous compost, or use some acidic fertilizer. Of course, it would be worth testing the soil pH first. They can also suffer with a cosmetic virus which I can't remember the name of, but I wouldn't worry about that...

Had exactly the same thing.

Yellow leaf'd camys on lower greensand.

Fed/watered leaves and roots once a week/fortnight with the ericacious miracle grow(you know for azelias and stuff).

Is now the centerpiece of the garden.

Result.

Job is a good one.

Back of the net.

etc

ETA dig/fork over the soil at base; spesh if compacted , so that MG goes down to roots rather than runs off.

Happy days

Yourn

Edited by Yournamehere

I've used magnesium salts (Epsom salts) as a folier spray for mag deficit before I cant remember the dilution rate but it provided an almost overnight pick me up as others have said a ph test and even a macro nutrient test would show the problem and if soil ph is too high remove some soil and replace with acidic compost or even soil from elsewhere in the garden and feed with eriocatious fertilizer during the growing season