Thinking of buying a processor to hire out

kindlett

HI THERE EVERYONE IM THINKING OF BUYING A HAWK PETROL :glare:MOBILE FIREWOOD PROCESSOR TO HIRE OUT IT WILL CUT UP TO 12INCH DIAMMATER.I WAS GOING TO HIRE IT OUT WEEKLY FOR £500AND MY FUEL COST TO DELIVER AND COLLECT OR IF HAVE FOR A MONTH £1500AND FUEL COSTS.THE CUSTOMER WOULD BE RESPONSABLE FOR SHARPENING THE CHAIN AND DRESSING TH GUIDE BAR.DO YOU GUYS THINK THERE IS A MARKET FOR THIS?

HI THERE EVERYONE IM THINKING OF BUYING A HAWK PETROL :glare:MOBILE FIREWOOD PROCESSOR TO HIRE OUT IT WILL CUT UP TO 12INCH DIAMMATER.I WAS GOING TO HIRE IT OUT WEEKLY FOR £500AND MY FUEL COST TO DELIVER AND COLLECT OR IF HAVE FOR A MONTH £1500AND FUEL COSTS.THE CUSTOMER WOULD BE RESPONSABLE FOR SHARPENING THE CHAIN AND DRESSING TH GUIDE BAR.DO YOU GUYS THINK THERE IS A MARKET FOR THIS?

At 500 a week plus delivery and fuel I would be looking for a full time operator as well - dream on would be my response to that quote I'm afraid.

I would be very wary of hiring a processor out to the public anyway - looks like a lot of risk to insure for untrained operators from joe public and if you expect them to sharpen chain without training I would lay in a good stock of both chain and bars.

The other question I would have is where is your market - the domestic market does not need a processor for a week - two people can run an artic load of timber through one in two good days even with a fair amount of chainsawing oversize stuff. Anyone who wants one for a month will want his own machine or a pretty substantial discount on those figures.

I woud suspect that your potential market is a lot more likely to be a day here and a day there but will be interested to see what others think.

Cheers

mac

I was thinking of offering a similar service but more offering it with operator per day/half day via local arb/forestry firms round here working for clients who want to keep any sensible straight timber or estates carrying out thinning work, i think there is potential but i dont know about the hireing per week without operator i cant see the insurance companies liking that, also im not sure i would want to buy a nice bit of kit like that and loaning it to the public to many "lets go mental is only a rental" types about for my liking :lol: i have seen nearly new kit trashed in days on rental as people have no respect for it

how much do think i could charge for me and my mobile palax combi and my labourer to pass the timber daily?I think you are right about what you said about hiring a new one out they would not respect it i suppose all of us are not the same.when i hire any tools i respect them as my own.

how much do think i could charge for me and my mobile palax combi and my labourer to pass the timber daily?I think you are right about what you said about hiring a new one out they would not respect it i suppose all of us are not the same.when i hire any tools i respect them as my own.

First question:- is anyone near you offering this service? If so what are they charging because that is the rate you have to compete with.

Secondly I would say you are approaching from the wrong direction when you ask "what could I charge?" what do you need to charge to make it worth your while all around?

Decide on a figure that you are happy to walk away from a days work with the palax with and then add on to that all the costs you can identify and quantify. Get that down to a dayrate and market it at that - don't initially put your rate in any adverts you cannot easily change.

Do a couple of jobs and get a feel for how much of a market there is and whether your rate is giving you a good return and adjust it in the light of experience. Try to see the job before going firm on a rate - we fronted up at one job with a palax and less than 50% of the timber would go through it - however we had pointed this out and arranged to have an extra sawman on site before starting.

If you cannot get work at the rate you derive then either you are being unrealistic or someone is doing it at an uneconomic rate - only you can judge.

HTH

mac

Pwllheli northwales i think we are miles away from you but we would travel if you pay are fuel cost we would do the work for £200a day 2 0f us on the machine one feeding and one cutting it would have to be 2days minimum you would have to put us up for one night or pay for are b&b we will put enough timber 2 do 100065x45nets in 2 days easly pm me if you are interested.cheers