ww2 american airfield

MattyF

Wasnt there a body turned up in one of those old huts a few years back? (Matt I assume those are the ones over near the Mordens?)

i have spent a bit of time in the woods the other side of royston on one of the old bomber (b-24) bases, and it gets pretty eerie up there on dusk in the woods

same place charlie but the living huts are quite a way from the control tower they found the tramp in.

They recon that fred moss met his end in some barns a mile away from there...your father showed me that piece of elm? with a 50 cal round wedged in it from when they used to test the guns near the fields from his house i presume they would of been flying fortress from bassingbourn

yes we used to have a farm in croydon and there was a bombing range on it!

had MOD up so many times to sweep the farm for bombs, think it scared the guys on the ploughs each time they pulled up a bomb! we used to have the de-activated heads along the workshop wall about 50 of them,

i guess the range was probably used by most the local bases, think it was mostly incenduary (?) bombs to check for accuracy rather than making creaters in the fields,

they did quite a few searches for fred moss round that area didnt they, I think he wound up in one of the local quarries, heard a rumour the police turned up another body locally when they were looking for him! (didnt hear anymore about that one though)

and it looks like such a quite area!

many years ago, when I was in my early teens, they cleared the brambles trees of the railway embankment behind my house. Then me and my brother rambled along there looking for all sorts of old treasures, and we came across the partially buried wing from a plane. Just recently, when my dad passed away, we were selling the property, and thought it would be interesting to look into where this wing came from. Turned out the plane had limped home from a mission, was a couple of miles short of its base, and was forced to ditch. we managed to find out the names and records of the crew, mission, and all sorts.

what sort of plane was it andy?

The base i worked on at used to fly wellingtons before they handed it over to the yanks for there fighter group.

one of the wellingtons collided with a german ju88 on a recon mission .

An evacue who lived in my old neighbors house was caught with a few thousand rounds of german ammo in his shead from the reckage by the home guard and got in serious trouble!