Starting arb set up

TheHungrySquirrel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the helpful comments and the 'lively' debate, has given me much food for thought! Interesting to see that a £750 kit budget is considered both a bit over the top and hopelessly optimistic by different people. I'd just want a simple and safe setup, it wouldn't be worth spending hundreds extra for kit to make jobs and moving about in the tree quicker as it won't be all that regular.

Having a look at how much some of the shiny toys like mechanical prussiks go for it's easy to see how you could blow that budget out of the water though, at up to two hundred notes each.

I have a couple of outlooks on your original question and points.

Firstly I think that I could go out get myself a reasonable kit and s/h top handle old 200t within the budget. So yes you could do it.

Secondly I don't think that in all areas of professional tree work for tasks undertaken within your grounds that a basic cs30/31 38/39 will cut the mustard. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience you get within those numbers you are quoting paying for this tree or that tree, it's not always a straight up straight down.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it but a lot of climbers have either been on the ground within the industry for at least a couple of years before they even get the chance to do some real tree work. Some get the chance earlier but that will be someone very lucky to be given the opportunity as its not always possible due to timescales on jobs etc.

Wish you all the best. Possibly working for a tree company a day a week will aid you massively in competence and basic knowledge and understanding.

Wish you all the best. Possibly working for a tree company a day a week will aid you massively in competence and basic knowledge and understanding.

As a matter of fact this is the way I was thinking of going should I get my 38/39. I would be happy volunteering the odd day for free in return for a bit of experience and advice. I'll put forward everything I've been told on this thread and see what my employer says, however I think the rescue trained groundie on hand at all times might put the kibosh on any plans. Shame really as I'd love to get climbing and being on my own wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I'm not one for taking risks or cutting corners and wouldn't tackle anything I felt was dodgy but I can see why the legislation exists.

Yes this was not what I was saying I was just saying that even when I go for a reccy climb I generally don't go alone and certainly wouldn't advise anyone with no experience to either.

Thanks

Might have been a bit misleading with my last post, I didn't mean I'd be happy using a saw up a tree by myself with nobody else around, working at height on your own regardless of what machinery you're using doesn't seem like a bright idea.

I'm part of a small maintenance team for a family forest park, with 22 acres of woodland that needs to be kept safe for visitors, along with various other landscaping, groundworks, fencing, gardening and mechanical jobs. We seem to be needing to fell more and more trees these days either due to expansion or them having been identified as unstable, a few have been near buildings or structures so have needed to be dismantled, and there's a good few more in the pipeline which I estimate will cost us around £2k to get an arborist in to take care of.

There's half a dozen of us with CS30/31 so I'd always have someone on the ground helping which as an individual I'd be quite happy with, however my employers wouldn't be. My boss is super keen on doing everything properly and complying with any relevant legislation, so it looks like the only way I'm going to get climbing is by either paying for it myself or convincing them to send someone else on a 38 as well, which along with the extra kit needed, might sway the balance towards carrying on as we are and paying someone to do the trees we can't manage :(

Might have been a bit misleading with my last post, I didn't mean I'd be happy using a saw up a tree by myself with nobody else around, working at height on your own regardless of what machinery you're using doesn't seem like a bright idea.

I'm part of a small maintenance team for a family forest park, with 22 acres of woodland that needs to be kept safe for visitors, along with various other landscaping, groundworks, fencing, gardening and mechanical jobs. We seem to be needing to fell more and more trees these days either due to expansion or them having been identified as unstable, a few have been near buildings or structures so have needed to be dismantled, and there's a good few more in the pipeline which I estimate will cost us around £2k to get an arborist in to take care of.

There's half a dozen of us with CS30/31 so I'd always have someone on the ground helping which as an individual I'd be quite happy with, however my employers wouldn't be. My boss is super keen on doing everything properly and complying with any relevant legislation, so it looks like the only way I'm going to get climbing is by either paying for it myself or convincing them to send someone else on a 38 as well, which along with the extra kit needed, might sway the balance towards carrying on as we are and paying someone to do the trees we can't manage :(

If you are using a free lancer logically he needs a rescue climber so why cant that be you? The average freelancer doesn't bring a rescue climber.

You might have to pay for some of the training yourself though

Good point, but does the average freelancer climb by himself as he's confident in his ability and doesn't want to pay a groundie for a day's work that isn't needed? We always say we just want the tree dismantled, any timber and brash can just be left where it lands and we'll sort it out ourselves to keep the bill down.

The more I think about it the more it seems that we either need to fork out for two people to go through the training or carry on paying someone else to carry out the work indefinitely. No arborist who has got to the stage of completing their rescue training is going to want to come and sit in a camping chair and read a book for a few quid while any climbing is going on, and if we're having to pay someone full whack to act as a full on groundie (carrying out work one of the guys could do already just for more money) we're not likely to save much anyway.