AA Conference - Anyone going?

Gary Prentice

Ed Gilmans speaking the tuesday I believe. I don't have all the information to hand, but there's a lot of big names over the three days. I spoke to Tiff this afternoon and I think she said that all the keynote speakers have now confirmed their attendance.

Maybe we can get together for that drink we missed at Myerscough for the CAS seminar?

I told myself that if it was north of the Manchester/Sheffield parallel I would go, but it aint so I won't. Kinda works in my head like £500 for the gig including accommodation, 2 days net loss of earnings getting there and back, 3 days loss of earnings being there, plus travel costs, plus the amount needed to compensate me for the mind-numbing journey, minus the huge professional and personal benefits of attending. It's slightly in the red. Not to mention the in loco Myerscough beer costs. Maybe next year. C'mon AA, trees do continue north of the Watford Gap!

Will go next year I think for the 50th one. Got the Lvl 4 this year, don't want to over-load myself with commitments.

Shame, last year for me it was conference or Mattheck. So I thought at the time, Mattheck would be more useful for my understanding of things.

This year the range of speakers, in topics that I probably have more knowledge and understanding in (from the studies), has made it more of a must see/do.

I told myself that if it was north of the Manchester/Sheffield parallel I would go, but it aint so I won't. Kinda works in my head like £500 for the gig including accommodation, 2 days net loss of earnings getting there and back, 3 days loss of earnings being there, plus travel costs, plus the amount needed to compensate me for the mind-numbing journey, minus the huge professional and personal benefits of attending. It's slightly in the red. Not to mention the in loco Myerscough beer costs. Maybe next year. C'mon AA, trees do continue north of the Watford Gap!

I think this year, I would have travelled any distance but its only two or three hrs south.

I did a similar cost-benefit analysis in preparation to discussing it with my wife. Luckily she's of the opinion that;

1) I always enthuse about the events I attend (i.e. bore her to death talking about trees), and

2) bring something away in the form of new-found knowledge and understanding,

so cost becomes less of a significant factor. If I don't spend on something I enjoy, what's the point in earning it? I'm a lucky guy in that way.:thumbup1:

Shame, last year for me it was conference or Mattheck. So I thought at the time, Mattheck would be more useful for my understanding of things.

This year the range of speakers, in topics that I probably have more knowledge and understanding in (from the studies), has made it more of a must see/do.

I would much like to see Mr Gilman and Novak talk. Perhaps the Big Barn Conference next year will be possible, assuming there are no restrictions on who can attend. Barcham isn't too far away. 100% at next year's AA though, assuming it's not right up north.