Kerbing for cellular confinement system

Paul Barton

Hi chaps,

Apologies for this slightly dull question, but can anyone help me? What is the recommended method/construction for kerbs when using a cellular confinement system as part of a no-dig construction for pavements/driveways etc.

This one is to be topped with a permeable tarmac (bitmac or something?) so wooden boards secured with rods wouldn't be suitable apparently. Obviously normal concrete kerbs have a fairly deep footing which would defeat the point of the cellweb....

Any ideas/experience gratefully received:biggrin:

Paul

This appears to be a very grey area and even the guys at Geosynthetics do not have the definitive answer! All of the installations we have done have been edged with a wooden gravel board and stakes.

If you give Geo a call and speak to Roy he should give you a better site specific solution.

The experience ive had as a tree officer pointed me in the direction of amsterdam soil and there are kerbs out there that do the job along with a root barrier. try looking at the threads on the uktc network. ( chat room for tree officers and consultants)

any probs. ill sus the website/chatroom out for you. just pm me.

cheers

Richard

Timber edgings fixed to posts driven into the ground, or sleepers laid on the ground are often recommended.

I usually specify a normal kerb with the footing on top of the existing ground. You just haunch it well, then build the road on the inside on top of the cellular system and cover the haunch with a narrow strip of uncompacted soil, sloped back and graded by hand down to the existing ground level.

You can choose the kerb to suit the thickness of cellular system - I've done a detail - I can send you a copy if that helps.

• 4 years later...