Gravel on me drive

simonm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I would never consider a gravel drive. Obviously a cheaper option but with looks to match IMO High maintenance to keep it rut and weed free, and if you are in the tree business would you not be bringing mud in on your tyres and truck? Worst thing there is for a gravel drive.

As an alternative you could do it with tarmac or brick paviors. It sounds like you can do the base so for a bit more money either you or someone else could put something decent on top. You won't lose as it will put money on your house and also you will have the benefit of a proper drive with less maintenance.

Gravel drive edged with block paving looks good and will last . Ok so a bit of maintenance is required ie a weed spray from time to time . Spill some oil no problem a good raking will disperse the stained gravel and that goes for mud to obviously not tons of the stuff . Never use pea gravel /round gravel as it will not compact and always banks up . Angular gravel ie limestone chippings and the like will not bank up as much and compacts much better . If you ever have a drainage problem or for whatever reason you need to dig up your gravel driveway .....its not a problem as it will go back down a treat . Not the case for tarmac , concrete print and the like :001_smile:

Gravel drive edged with block paving looks good and will last . Ok so a bit of maintenance is required ie a weed spray from time to time . Spill some oil no problem a good raking will disperse the stained gravel and that goes for mud to obviously not tons of the stuff . Never use pea gravel /round gravel as it will not compact and always banks up . Angular gravel ie limestone chippings and the like will not bank up as much and compacts much better . If you ever have a drainage problem or for whatever reason you need to dig up your gravel driveway .....its not a problem as it will go back down a treat . Not the case for tarmac , concrete print and the like :001_smile:

:thumbup1:

Decided on a type of flint from build base, looks really good when its down, i don't wanna put any hard standing down as trying to keep the tarmac looking clean is a nightmare. That resin stuff looks good but driving 2 vans 2 chippers a tractor and 2 cars over it will cover it in bab in no time!

Decided on a type of flint from build base, looks really good when its down, i don't wanna put any hard standing down as trying to keep the tarmac looking clean is a nightmare. That resin stuff looks good but driving 2 vans 2 chippers a tractor and 2 cars over it will cover it in bab in no time!

When you say flint do you mean Golden gravel ? Never use slate for a driveway as it cuts your tyres .

Looks are a personal preference so I think we can agree to disagree on that one.

As said angular gravel is better as it locks together to some extent.

Mud, silt and any pieces chipped off the gravel will build up over time and it will eventually become clogged. I have seen several drives that look like 20mm to dust with a mix of mud thrown in for good measure.

Brick pavoirs are the way to go if there will be any need to take up for trench or stains.

My main point is value of the property. A good drive will probably increase property value by more than the cost to do it, and as a bonus you get the benefits. This of course depends whether Simon wants to invest more money in his house or keep it for his business.

Its another choice to consider

Weed control of some type underneath then road scalpings/ planings on top whacker plated in tight. Cotswold stone on top. The Cotswold stone is reasonably flat gravel if your with me so it eventually lays itself in reasonably tight. Doing it this way or similar means the gravel isn't to deep so it's not like walking or driving through sand and it should also help prevent waves of gravel created by vehicles back and forth.

Cotswold is on back order at the min about a week wait for it but it's worth it looks really nice. We ve just used it a big Georgian house.