560xp brake band problem

TIMON

Don't know if anyone has come across this but the plastic casing that contains the chain brake mechanism has melted and the brake band doesn't engage. Just had a new clutch fitted so I'm surprised that the dealer sent it back like this. They can't have noticed it.

Does anyone have any ideas why it might have happened? I don't want to just replace the parts only for it to happen again.

Thanks in advance

Timon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anyone has come across this but the plastic casing that contains the chain brake mechanism has melted and the brake band doesn't engage. Just had a new clutch fitted so I'm surprised that the dealer sent it back like this. They can't have noticed it.

Does anyone have any ideas why it might have happened? I don't want to just replace the parts only for it to happen again.

Thanks in advance

Timon

Hi TIMON HOWS THINGS MATE 👍 ask Steve and eddy stubby on here in a PM mate thanks mate Jon

Thanks in advance

Timon

First question is the brake wasn't left on was it? Even the start-up needs high rpm to be taken off pretty quickly. Otherwise the cause would be heat warping from the saw, the 560 is known to get very hot. Muffler mod cures that though, but mine showed no signs of that prior to porting.

Have you removed the spark mesh to aid cooling and keep the exhaust unblocked?

Hi Eddy,

Spark mesh was taken out at purchase over 12 months ago.

I used it on a really hot day and worked it really hard not long ago. It was hard to pull after that so

I stripped it not long after to clean it and not realising what would happen I started it without the cover and brake on and the clutch flew off :(

Been waiting ages for new parts so left it at local dealers. Just got it back, started beautifully but the brake isn't engaging. The plastic cover is quite melted. The brake mechanism seems to be Working ok.

Thanks

Hi TIMON HOWS THINGS MATE 👍 ask Steve and eddy stubby on here in a PM mate thanks mate Jon

Things going well mate, apart from the saw. It's only a brake problem so not the end of the world. Thanks mate.

So not just the 136/141/142's then, it's the band binding on the clutch drum when/if you get a new one I'd suggest removing the lugs that the band rests upon, this allows the band to expand further giving the clutch drum more room to move !...

Sorry for high-jacking your post while I'm here but I keep hearing about this exhaust mod that allows the motor to run cooler so can anybody enlighten me as to what this entails, I know it involves drilling a hole or 2 but where exactly should they be drilled and at what size etc...

Any advice would be most appreciated as I'm getting a little pee'd off that my 141 keeps cutting out when idling... Cheers T7

Edited by TORNADOS7

So not just the 136/141/142's then, it's the band binding on the clutch drum when/if you get a new one I'd suggest removing the lugs that the band rests upon, this allows the band to expand further giving the clutch drum more room to move !...

Sorry for high-jacking your post while I'm here but I keep hearing about this exhaust mod that allows the motor to run cooler so can anybody enlighten me as to what this entails, I know it involves drilling a hole or 2 but where exactly should they be drilled and at what size etc...

Any advice would be most appreciated as I'm getting a little pee'd off that my 141 keeps cutting out when idling... Cheers T7

My muffler mod on my 560xp

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1439319805.440286.jpg.ba62d403697fcd0f1d3809b105ae912e.jpg

I prefer a pipe rather than a hole, you could also do louvres, which are multiple angled slits, or fit a deflector over the hole

My muffler mod on my 560xp

[ATTACH]187567[/ATTACH]

I prefer a pipe rather than a hole, you could also do louvres, which are multiple angled slits, or fit a deflector over the hole

Ideal buddy 'n' thanks for the piccy, so if I'm reading it right the 'muffler mod' will allow the engine to run cooler reducing the heat soak that causes the fuel to vapourise which is what makes them cut out if left idling for to long !...:thumbup1: