Arborcom Bluetooth Headset – Stein Helmet - Pics.

John Hancock

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he has probably put his back out trying to squeeze into his ond 30"waist wranglers and cowboy boots:w00t:

Cant even remember being a 30” – can just about remember being a 32” though. Hand a thought this morning – We’ve just purchased the most expensive hands free Bluetooth kit in history! I didn’t ‘arf get some funny looks on my drive into work this morning! :laugh1:

my set was 700quid new 5 years ago john, and my steins were 120 each. and now one of them has packed in. but they have been used nearly every day since new and they get quite a bashing when climbing through brash and connys. but they save a man on most jobs and the safety factor is the most important thing.

We used them for the first time this morning. Pollarding highway limes with a MEWP. Initial impressions are very good!

The experience of being able to talk normally with Chris in the MEWP while we have the chipper running and chainsaws buzzing seems bizarre at first! As I saw potential hazards like pedestrians approaching, postman doing the rounds and cars shooting up and down the street, I could calmly point them out so Chris was fully aware.

If I was using the helmets while climbing within the crown of a tree I’d try and modify the cable that connects the two headphones (see pic 1) Perhaps these could be routed internally through the helmet so it wouldn’t get snagged and damaged by branches etc… In the meantime, I’ll just tape it down.

There have been a few comments about the fixings of the ear defenders/headphones to the helmet. Jonesie picked up on this and has actually bolted them into place, through the helmet (see pic 2) problem solved! This was done un-prompted, at no extra charge and in my mind is an excellent example of a top quality service.

I wasn’t sure how I’d like the smoked visor, but so far-so good. Its nice not to have saw dust falling down from above and getting into my eyes (I wear contact lenses). Vision and clarity through the visor is excellent (today was cloudy and overcast).

A small bug-bear is the type of springs fitted to the ear defenders. (see pic 3) If you normally use a ‘Stihl-type’ set-up on your helmet you won’t notice and difference. I’ve always used (and preferred) the ‘Husky’ type springs, which hold the defenders hard against your ear. Like I said, a small bug-bear but to me the advantages far out-weigh the disadvantage. Perhaps the manufacturer could offer an option..?

One thing that I didn’t think of - because Chris and I were calmly chatting away to one another while working (and not usual SHOUTING) our third man, Tom felt a little disconnected, bless him. Normally he’d be aware of me calling out the hazards as they happen. The answer to this would be either turn the volume down (and speak louder) so Tom could hear, or buy a second set and link them in to one another, so the whole team could enjoy calm, crisp communication.:cool1:

I’ll keep you posted with anymore thoughts as they come…

597654838484a_DSC_0586(Large)(2).jpg.991a187cf59de45ecb61f1c616a53a93.jpg

5976548381397_DSC_0597(Large).jpg.8556369ddd9d4a2b60bf74fb3a43af31.jpg

597654837dc69_DSC_0587(Large).jpg.fca7c23d417f35b85e855d53d221d94a.jpg

Edited by John Hancock

the only faults i got with mine were in the cable running to the mike, it was always kinked so wore through and stopped working, i got it replaced with a connector and a waterproof rubber put over it. give it a week john and you will order another set. productivity will go through the roof and no more stress or frustration. we would wear them between vehicles on the way home for a laugh. but when you drive into the yard with the trucks you can all move about with ease and not jump in and out all the time. its great for hooking up the chipper and trailers to. they will be the most important part of your kit soon john, you will really notice it if you bring on a newby and start to train him up, especially with the saw, you can rectify the mistake while they are working, people dont like to be told what to do face to face, but a word in their ear is fine.