1. 1. What method do you climb with

• SRT exclusively
    • Ddrt exclusively
    • Both SRT and Ddrt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, If Im going to use Ddrt, its probably going to be on a removal....where I can walk up and around on spurs and just tend the slack as I go. Dont have to worry too much about friction on the rope caused through redirecting, because I can just cut off any obstructive branches that get in the way. Retrieving a Ddrt line also takes no planning really....you just pull it down. This is especially handy when transferring between tops with a grappling hook etc.

But when it comes to access and maneuvering around big trees for pruning....its hard for me personally to factor in Ddrt at all. The mere thought of tip reducing, say a 140 ft fir using a Ddrt system. All that wasted motion and energy pulling on the 2:1 line. Lots of re-routing of the lines to keep them free running etc....what a lot of work. With SRT, you're just free to go where you want, and come back in half the time.

Maybe its got something to do with body type. Ive often wondered what makes a person find either technique less strenuous than the other.

For me, If Im going to use Ddrt, its probably going to be on a removal....where I can walk up and around on spurs and just tend the slack as I go. Dont have to worry too much about friction on the rope caused through redirecting, because I can just cut off any obstructive branches that get in the way. Retrieving a Ddrt line also takes no planning really....you just pull it down. This is especially handy when transferring between tops with a grappling hook etc.

But when it comes to access and maneuvering around big trees for pruning....its hard for me personally to factor in Ddrt at all. The mere thought of tip reducing, say a 140 ft fir using a Ddrt system. All that wasted motion and energy pulling on the 2:1 line. Lots of re-routing of the lines to keep them free running etc....what a lot of work. With SRT, you're just free to go where you want, and come back in half the time.

Maybe its got something to do with body type. Ive often wondered what makes a person find either technique less strenuous than the other.

Completely off topic I know but have you any news vids coming reg?

... All that wasted motion and energy pulling on the 2:1 line. Lots of re-routing of the lines to keep them free running etc....what a lot of work. With SRT, you're just free to go where you want, and come back in half the time...

Well said! Even though I will use DdRT on occasion, SRT just feels better for most everything.

Completely off topic I know but have you any news vids coming reg?

I have some product reviews pending. When I get the time.

I've put out well over a hundred tree vids on youtube, arbtalk and some other forums. Hundreds of photos too. It's a lot of time invested. There'll be more no doubt, but the motivation is a bit harder to find now days, to be honest.

I have some product reviews pending. When I get the time.

I've put out well over a hundred tree vids on youtube, arbtalk and some other forums. Hundreds of photos too. It's a lot of time invested. There'll be more no doubt, but the motivation is a bit harder to find now days, to be honest.

Ah no bother I really enjoy your videos. Are you stil contract climbing over there or on your own?

Ah no bother I really enjoy your videos. Are you stil contract climbing over there or on your own?

I still do some subcontracting but mostly I do my own jobs now. I'm much happier for it.