Elm for building

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know it was used for ships masts as it was strong and flexed enough that it didn't snap under the tension and torsion of the sails.

Elm was used for the keel, but masts have always been the likes of spruce, white pine and douglas.Very straight stems that are not knotty which a square beam is cut, removing sap wood, and the round mast shaped out of that by the mastmaker. It is the rigging that stops the mast from snapping.

As i understand it Dean, elm is good when permanently wet- groynes on the beach, keels of boats and in the past as pipes underground before the advent of metal ones- or when permanently dry such as flooring and furniture etc. I have a feeling that exposed to the cycle of drying and getting wet from the weather it may struggle a bit. I have not heard of it used as cladding for example:001_smile:

Edited by tommer9

I have a feeling that exposed to the cycle of drying and getting wet from the weather it may struggle a bit. I have not heard of it used as cladding for example:001_smile:

It will be used for the framework Tommer and will be clad in something else so will eventually dry out fully.

If it is bad for twisting when drying I might just drop that oak I was thinking of :001_smile:

that is a seriously nice bit of work, love those timber framed buildings.

off thread now, why is the dog, 2nd pic down, at 45 degree angle!? sorry.

J

Thats my Springer spaniel Sammy, he had just been let out the back of the car and was tearing about trying to find pheasants, he was doing about 20mph and turning when the shutter went :laugh1:

It will be used for the framework Tommer and will be clad in something else so will eventually dry out fully.

If it is bad for twisting when drying I might just drop that oak I was thinking of :001_smile:

I reckon you would be best off using the oak for the structural bits if you can produce enough for your needs, and the elm could then supply things such as a bit o flooring, or caracter window boards/ seats etc or maybe a table top. I have seen it used as lintels before too.:001_cool:

Or you could get some nice douglas for the structure, and clad the exterior in waney edged oak and use the elm for the interior......

Or shall i just make an ever expanding list of timber combinations you could use on a building about which i know nothing?:blushing::thumbup: