Well Pump

NFG

I guess, but I had this dream of endless clean, clear water! I had the rainwater collectors as well, the problem with them was I couldn't get any pressure to irrigate. If you added up all the money I spent on those, hoses, valves etc, plus the pump (€250) it buys a lot of water from SAUR.

Plus those 1000ltr cubes are ugly blighters.

We've got great pressure here anyway. I gave it up as more bother than it's worth.

Hi

If your well is fed from a source, have you tried putting eels down it?

They will always try & find a source & in doing so open up the passage for more water to flow.

IBC containers are not the prettiest of things, but hidden one with pas breese & the others around the back.

N

Morning.

I have to admit I had not thought of eels! I'll check the cupboard see if I've any I've forgotten about.

I reckon the best plan would be to go down there and dig down to remove a few metres of silt, but I don't mind climbing up a great big tree, no way I'm lowering myself down a hole, it's a good 10 Mtrs to the water. Might find some hidden wartime gold though.

Hi

If your well is fed from a source, have you tried putting eels down it?

They will always try & find a source & in doing so open up the passage for more water to flow.

IBC containers are not the prettiest of things, but hidden one with pas breese & the others around the back.

N

Never heard of using eels before. When we drilled our second borehole it produced much more than now. I thought the water table had dropped and we gave it up. Looking down it the other day I could see the water surface so it might have blocked. Not sure I would do it but if your theory is right then eels might improve the flow, a bit harsh on them though.

Years ago we used to get problems with eels swimming into a spring fed pipe and blocking it. The pipe was about 1/2 mile long and after a few days they would appear at the other end much thinner and dead of course..

I have installed an underground rainwater recycling catchment tank as part of a ''green'' planning requirement. You probably know this but they come in a variety of sizes with a gauze filter on the 110mm inlet. Just drop in a sump pump with its own float switch any you are away. Cost is the only downside but all you see is a green manhole cover about 600mm.

Hi,

Its not a theory about eels, it works, I have first hand experience of success.

Although if the well involves drilling then its most likely a water table well so wont work.

It will only work if the well is fed from a source as opposed to being dependant on the water table, over the years the passage will silt up & an eel will clear it in its desire to reach the source of the spring.

There are companies in France (+ UK maybe) that clear the silt that builds up at the bottom as well which also helps provide more water.

I have installed an underground rainwater recycling catchment tank as part of a ''green'' planning requirement. You probably know this but they come in a variety of sizes with a gauze filter on the 110mm inlet. Just drop in a sump pump with its own float switch any you are away. Cost is the only downside but all you see is a green manhole cover about 600mm.

Yes, really good idea to harvest rainwater once the expense can be factored in over the years, our underground storage is an old fosse septique which has had clear water running through it for several years & holds about 3500 litres with similar pump, its fine for pumping to our 'toilet tank' which we used to flush a downstairs loo & plant watering.

N

Edited by NFG

Good evening NFG and thanks.

As they say never too old to learn.

Hi

Just thought I'd post it up, you never know who may benefit

So thank you for your comment, me too, never too old to learn

N