Instructor / Technician @ Sparsholt College

Mark T

We haven't ALL picked over it, there has been very little response to it comparatively, there are over 3000 arbtalk members.

So comparatively this thread has had very few negative responses.

It could have had a lot more

ok i will re fraise it - many of us that have read the origional post have picked over it and the mojority of the posts are negative .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, a bit of a red mist last night. Explanation and olive branch offered.

Its very easy to tar everyone with the same brush, which is what is happening with both side of the "conversation" here.

It would be nice if every student that grduated at college was your perfect worker, conciencous, hard working, had a sense of urgency when needed and knew what to do and what was expected.

We all know in the real world and IN ANY TRADE that this isn't the case and I'd go as far as to say about 1 in 10 are GOOD solid workers.

I interviewed 20 people for a paint sprayers job which involved spraying for BNFL contracts, so the standard was very high. Out of the 20 I interviewed I found one that was actually capable of doing the job.

After a 10 minute introduction I handed each interviewee a pair of over hauls, a full spray gun and asked them to spray a panel I had set up in the spray booth.

About ten of the wasters didn't even have a clue, one actually dropped the spraygun when it hissed at him unexpetadly

To be a good student and worker, it has to be in you to start with.

You also have to have a degree in common sense, which sadly half the population of the UK are lacking

Its very easy to tar everyone with the same brush, which is what is happening with both side of the "conversation" here.

It would be nice if every student that grduated at college was your perfect worker, conciencous, hard working, had a sense of urgency when needed and knew what to do and what was expected.

We all know in the real world and IN ANY TRADE that this isn't the case and I'd go as far as to say about 1 in 10 are GOOD solid workers.

I interviewed 20 people for a paint sprayers job which involved spraying for BNFL contracts, so the standard was very high. Out of the 20 I interviewed I found one that was actually capable of doing the job.

After a 10 minute introduction I handed each interviewee a pair of over hauls, a full spray gun and asked them to spray a panel I had set up in the spray booth.

About ten of the wasters didn't even have a clue, one actually dropped the spraygun when it hissed at him unexpetadly

To be a good student and worker, it has to be in you to start with.

You also have to have a degree in common sense, which sadly half the population of the UK are lacking

i agree with nearly all of what you have said . i am not trying to tar everyone with tha same brush , all im saying is that if any of us were to advertise a job because we felt that it may help somone out who does not have a job etc etc i dont think any of us would be that happy when the thread turns into wht looked to be a college bashing . i know not all of the posts were like that but it did seem that many people have something about a side to the trade that they have not worked in .

When I ran my business in Surrey I found Sparsholt students to be some of the best in the industry.

The problem is not so much the colleges but what they have to work with.

The job looks glamorous in the brochures but we all know the reality, sadly the play station generation would rather sit in Tescos and text there mates all day when they find out what the real job involves.

So my opinion is it's more about the caliber of the person going on the course than the colleges themselves.

My personal feeling is that similar to the Merrist Wood policy of ten years ago students should do work experience before being allowed on these courses, even better an apprenticeship scheme would be the way forwards.

I heard that the colleges receive the funding for year one even if the student drops out after a few weeks which has to be a strong motivating force to take on dead beats !

Gimmer / Mark drunk coffee in my home once before we took on a Sparsholt student and came across as a thoroughly decent sort of a bloke.

It's a shame a new thread wasn't started to take this to, someone will take that job and hopefully contribute to some decent lads and lasses coming into the industry when us twisted old bastards are on our way out !