Refuelling large excavator?

spandit

Working on a lake is more the reason to hire in a bunded bowser for the jobs duration. I doubt if your customer would appreciate even the smallest of spills near a lake.Play it safe.

Bob

HI BOB your right there ive small a bunded bowser on wheel like bin thanks jon :thumbup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on a lake is more the reason to hire in a bunded bowser for the jobs duration. I doubt if your customer would appreciate even the smallest of spills near a lake.Play it safe.

Bob

I am the customer! I'd be leaving the drums elsewhere on the property, on a hard standing, so I could drive the digger to them. It's creating a new lake so no marine wildlife to damage, although you're right in as much that I don't want loads of diesel spread over the ground

Most modern 360's have an in-built fuel transfer pump and hose in a dedicated locker. Gone are the days of trying to syphon fuel. I'd go for 205 litre drums from your local fuel supplier.

codlasher

Second that

If available I would be tempted to get a quote for a bigger machine, it would be a lot easier and quicker. We are digging a small pond at the moment with a local 15 ton machine but it requires a bit of shuffling around. In the past we have used several 25 ton machines and they have more reach, far more digging power and a bigger bucket. If the ground is soft a long reach with wide tracks is what you need. Amazing what they will do in a day.

I am the customer! I'd be leaving the drums elsewhere on the property, on a hard standing, so I could drive the digger to them. It's creating a new lake so no marine wildlife to damage, although you're right in as much that I don't want loads of diesel spread over the ground

Drums still need to be in a bund. See if someone like Rye oils will deliver 500 litres and pm me if you'd like a couple of weeks borrow of a little plastic bunded fuel station.

Worth bearing in mind, thought 15 tonnes was big enough!

Depends on the size of toy you want to play with. 15 ton probably is big enough but it depends on the ground and how deep you want to go. If a 15 ton machine has enough reach and the ground is soft enough for it to dig at depth then thats the one to hire. Towards the end of a job I have had a 30 ton machine with a single ripper tooth defeated by the cornish shillet and we have had to resort to a second machine with a hammer for a few days. 70 ton machine probably would have just dug it but at that size you are talking serious money. Within reason get the correct size machine for the job you are going to do, it will save you money at the end of the day.

Regarding bunding I don't think you will have a problem as far as regulations are concerned. 200ltr drum, shed storage or agricultural use which has a higher limit should mean you dont have to join. Always a good idea though if its not too much hassle. Don't take this as gospel but that's how I understood the regs unless they have changed.

Edited by cornish wood burner

Have you any honest friends in the Farming community?

Large tractor filled up on nearby farm, straight onto site and fill up directly out of it when required via the machine pump.

If the guy has a meter and can fill back up to tell you the litres, you can pay him for it at a rate that probably a little better if he's a decent bulk volume buyer.

Nothing stored on site and no spillage issues.

Nobody has mentioned even a 500ltr Bunded tank full going missing, which is more possible than many gave it credit for at their cost, can cause serious long faces all round.

With the greatest respect, I know many see operating an Excavator as great fun, and it's your money, but have you any idea just how productive you're likely to be compared to someone fully experienced, and what standard of finish is likely.

Get the bulk digging done on a price, and save the inevitable Mini digger stuff around the project after for yourself.

Eddie.

With the greatest respect, I know many see operating an Excavator as great fun, and it's your money, but have you any idea just how productive you're likely to be compared to someone fully experienced, and what standard of finish is likely.

Get the bulk digging done on a price, and save the inevitable Mini digger stuff around the project after for yourself.

I have an experienced digger operator next door who can come in for a bit to do the fiddly bits. The bulk digging is the easy part and apologies to those with degrees in excavation but I'm confident that I can do a decent enough job. Have to learn somehow anyway and if my calculations are correct, it's going to take a long time for the lakes to fill up!

Thanks for the idea regarding the fuelling. I'll ask around...

I have an experienced digger operator next door who can come in for a bit to do the fiddly bits. The bulk digging is the easy part and apologies to those with degrees in excavation but I'm confident that I can do a decent enough job. Have to learn somehow anyway and if my calculations are correct, it's going to take a long time for the lakes to fill up!

Thanks for the idea regarding the fuelling. I'll ask around...

With the greatest respect they don't hand out any degrees in machine operating for the simple fact you're learning every day until your very last shift.

I can do a perfectly good job on a chainsaw with no tickets, my best wellies and boilersuit, and I've never even slept with a chainsaw operator.

Like I say it's your money, but a little respect either way for another man's profession isn't too much to ask.

Eddie.