Stihl Ms 171 chains and Accessoriesa

Baggies

Guys thanks for the helpful advice.... So much input in a short time.. amazin..

So what I am getting is in general stick to the better quality chains (stihl/oregon) (a few people suggest it might be work trying the cheaper).

For sharpening is "practice makes perfect" and just do it on the bar. Use hand file.

For the oil, quite a range of suggestions.. I guess my one question left.

Is there any reason why I can't use oregon oil on stihl? I mean are the chain specific. some people mention the sticky properties and maybe some chains behave better with than?

Interestingly nobody suggested any ebay sellers. I guess my concern is that many of these could sell fake..

I would love to take a course... Right now the chainsaw is trying to save money.. I get free would and burn the wood burner instead on oil. afford £300 would be tight but maybe one day.

Thanks for your comments so far.. welcome any further.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's not a Stihl but I bought a couple of cheap Ozaki chains on eBay and have had no problem with them, they keep a good edge and have not gone slack prematurely or anything. I bought 5 litre of Husqvarna mineral chain oil locally for £15 and it will last me ages. Oregon oil should be fine in any saw with a working pump.

Will check the videos thanks. I think my chains are 3/8 or is 3/8p different..

Thanks for advice.

Hi,

Fairly sure your chain will be 3/8th low profile & they do tend to go dull quickly.

As for the brand, Stihl or Oregon will do fine, I find Total 150T a really good oil (as well as being reasonable here) its very sticky which is important, the slight downside is that the sawdust gunk can build up a little more as it sticks well!

N

So I have chain that was not cutting and did some hand filing (took me about 15 mins). When I tested, it cut but not as well as my other chain. Going to run over it again when I get a chance. How many sharpens do you get out of a file? I assume if the file is in a guide you need to turn it every so often?

I asked about alternative chain for 171 for a friend of mine as his seem to blunt very quickly and came to the conclusion that he should have bought a 181 instead so he could use better chain as the picco micro chain does tend to blunt quickly on not so clean firewood. One tip when you sharpen the chain on the bar is to tighten it so it doesn't rock then slacken it off again after.

Edited by peatff