Stihl Pro Models

R Haigh

Fair enough. The ms280 not the same build quality of 028 then? I had an 028 in '89, but never it's newer replacement the ms280. Did buy the ms260 later. As I recall, the 028 was sold at same time as 026 during late 80's, never considered the 026 as the 028's replacement. Was it then Sawtroll? I shall be googling this now you know!

There never was any official info on what replaced what, and it hardly is unusual that there is an overlap in production of one model and its replacement, at least not with Stihl and Husky (which a know the most about).

In such cases, the older model usually is sold as a lower priced alternative to its replacement.

Edited by SawTroll

I bought an early Stihl 036, probably about the same era as the 028. It is different to the later 036 as it has no decompression valve but I recently saw a Stihl 034av super which looks identical to my 036, same capacity and everything. Why would they make two different models so alike ?

Don't know, but I notice they've lately dropped the 034/341. Bit of redundancy in the old range, even some claim the 441/461 could be "fixed", though I know a few people that swear by each...

All I could find when I googled it is that the 028 and other versions etc, that had the black /white handle yet were not quite the pro forestry saw, is that they had magnesium crankcases, decent carbs, and a (b----- I've forgotten already) might of been a longer stroke on the piston giving good power range, yet not having adjustable oiler (which has higher and lower flow than non-adjustable pump, no decompression valve, plus various other might haves that set the pro saws apart. So those black and whites but not quite pro saws had a position of semi (or "prosumer"???) rating, that's significantly better than the plastic crank case, cheap carb, short stroke cheapies that are the lower cost end of the range. I have to go now. My 2 year old wants to watch mana manah Muppet song on youtube. Friday night fun!

Don't know, but I notice they've lately dropped the 034/341. Bit of redundancy in the old range, even some claim the 441/461 could be "fixed", though I know a few people that swear by each...

Hi,

I think the 341 has been gone a few years, I tried to find one about 4 years ago but no. As I understand it, the 341 was a detuned version of the 361 & I wonder if the 441 has the same relation to the 460/461

(dons tin hat & asbestos suit)

N

The regular Stihl 034 was different from the 036, smaller cylinder (46mm vs 48mm bore). The 034 Super had the same displacement as the 036 if I recall correctly (both 48mm). I think they were somewhat country specific, although they both were available in Belgium. Don't know the reason behind it.

The current 441 and 461 are as far as I heard completely different styles of saws. While the 441 is very smooth and has the m-tronic, the 461 should have quite a lot more torque and hasn't got a m-tronic version (yet). So it's smooth but powerful vs raw power I think.

Hi,

I think the 341 has been gone a few years, I tried to find one about 4 years ago but no. As I understand it, the 341 was a detuned version of the 361

Open ports on ms341, closed on ms361 I think. Different carbs too I think. Same cc.

Hi,

I think the 341 has been gone a few years, I tried to find one about 4 years ago but no. As I understand it, the 341 was a detuned version of the 361 & I wonder if the 441 has the same relation to the 460/461

N

No, the 441 is a totally different saw from the 460 and 461.