should it stay or go

bob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to seem thick Bob, but I assume that you are referring to the diseased part of the tree for removal, as opposed to the whole tree? How would bracing it help?I havent braced any trees but have removed two which have been braced in the past, and one had decay which we were pretty sure had been introduced by the wound caused by the bracing. Surely it would be better to remove the decay back to healthy wood?

I suppose it would partially decided by the nature and cause of the decay, but either way is there not a risk that by leaving it the decay would spread further thus causing failure and necessitate future felling of the whole tree?

I would lean toward removal.

what are the targets bob ??? what type of bracing hes been specified ??

syc on left felled and extenion to be built between tree and just to left of where photo was taken

cobra sort of specified but spoke to consultant and any over 5 ton ok

prob use gefa

As a TO I'd be asking;

What is the the strength loss resulting from the defect?

What is the strength of the remaining parts?

What's the minimum pruning that would mitigate the risk of failure?

What is the current amenity value of the tree?

What would the amenity value of the tree be after the necessary minimum pruning works?

What are the replacement options in this position?

:D

Sorry to seem thick Bob, but I assume that you are referring to the diseased part of the tree for removal, as opposed to the whole tree? How would bracing it help?I havent braced any trees but have removed two which have been braced in the past, and one had decay which we were pretty sure had been introduced by the wound caused by the bracing. Surely it would be better to remove the decay back to healthy wood?

I suppose it would partially decided by the nature and cause of the decay, but either way is there not a risk that by leaving it the decay would spread further thus causing failure and necessitate future felling of the whole tree?

I would lean toward removal.

decay is on stem on right hand side about 1cm from top of photo so if you removed diseased part there would only be strange leaning leg that goes over house

consultant had not seen decay i dont think

brace was specified as the tree would be more open and due to proximity of house i believe

As a TO I'd be asking;

What is the the strength loss resulting from the defect?

What is the strength of the remaining parts?

What's the minimum pruning that would mitigate the risk of failure?

What is the current amenity value of the tree?

What would the amenity value of the tree be after the necessary minimum pruning works?

What are the replacement options in this position?

Surely you would ask the 4th question first? :001_smile:

Good questions but what sort of answers would you be expecting from questions 1 and 2? Percentages? Based on opinion?

As a TO I'd be asking;

1 What is the the strength loss resulting from the defect?

2What is the strength of the remaining parts?

3What's the minimum pruning that would mitigate the risk of failure?

4What is the current amenity value of the tree?

5What would the amenity value of the tree be after the necessary minimum pruning works?

6 What are the replacement options in this position?

1 who knows

2 not sure

3 pruning would not work

4 can not be seen from road approx 10 houses can see it but its crap

5 prunning not an option imo

6 a birch was specified for the syc we felled so not a lot of room for another to develop to maturity but keeps us in work so get one planted