Advice Buying/Building/Running a Timber Lorry

woodsmanmatt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, would a half decent Unimog with 12t forwarding trailer be an option? If I got an Ag registered one I think I could legitimately use it without MOT/OL as it would be working in pure forestry. It would avoid the need to get an HGV licence too (I have experience of towing large trailers with tractors so that wouldn't really worry me).

The advantage would be that I could grow the business using the PTO to drive a chipper etc if necessary was well as Hauling timber in the woods and on the road which really appeals.

Disadvantage is that the initial outlay would be more expensive, as would the running costs I suspect!

Thoughts??

If you are thinking about very tight access, something like a merc atego 1324 short wheel base, 13.5t with a gtw of 28t so i 14t trailer would give an overall pay load of at least 10t.

You could also pay someone to act as your transport manager so you don't need to take the exam.

Also 6 weekly checks means that big problems usually get noticed before its too late and expensive!

Good luck!

You had to light the blue touchpaper didn't you? :lol:

Dare say there'll be lots of replies soon, but pretty sure you can't run it as ag for hauling timber for hire and reward.

Just been looking at the Unimogs Rock thread - see what you mean!

The "Hire and Reward" thing could be worked around I think. I think if I was hauling my own timber to a customer and using white diesel it would be ok, so would just need to make sure the timber was mine before I loaded it. That's just a paperwork issue I hope! :thumbup1:

That said I'm not sure it would be practical, but certainly worth looking at in more detail.

And aren't ag registered vehicles just meant to go from land you own to land you own within a specified distance???

Only if I was running on red diesel I think. On white it would be fine provided I could prove it was Forestry (as that falls under Ag registered vehicles) and not Arb, so I wouldn't be able to transport chip for example.

Thanks, that's really helpful. :thumbup: Definitely starting to feel that I'd be better off converting a decent UK truck with a proper timber crane.

Out of interest, what are the fuel costs of running a truck like yours? I need to work this out for my business plan.

Hi again check out gary wynn evans web site got a volvo fm12 timber lorry and trailer complete .As for fuel consumption all depends on roads and weights .I am in pembrokeshire and not even a dual carriageway here plus got to go over the hills and mountains.Lorry and trailer about 5 to 6 mpg lorry only about8 8.5.

Cheers Chris

Hi again check out gary wynn evans web site got a volvo fm12 timber lorry and trailer complete .As for fuel consumption all depends on roads and weights .I am in pembrokeshire and not even a dual carriageway here plus got to go over the hills and mountains.Lorry and trailer about 5 to 6 mpg lorry only about8 8.5.

Cheers Chris

Thanks Chris, that's great. That Volvo is very tasty, but way beyond my budget unfortunately!