Widow Maker

tockmal

Not only is he struck by an albeit small widow maker but he doesnt make an escape....its like he's hypnotised by the falling stick. Its an interesting vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfYR2kK81M&feature=related

I've had a few near misses when felling in the past - branches breaking out of the crown etc.

Anyone else had similar situations with either being too close to stump or widow makers?

Sometimes when we fell in tight locations there is no escape route.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:deal:Had a few intresting near misses both climbing and felling, but I always have my Fathers accident in the back of mind to keep me on my toes.

He was basicly crippled at the age of 35 when a large ash barber chaired, this through him up about 20 ft when it caught him in the rib cage, he ended up with 2 punctered lungs, both legs broken and all the nerves torn in his right arm which never regained any use with the trauma of the accident he went into a coma of which he came out 6months later.

I carry out some inhouse training for my present company and use this true story and the aftermath in handouts for the trainees to read at brew time any one wanting a copy please feel free to ask as its never failed yet to bring a know all to heel in a group.:deal:

Not only is he struck by an albeit small widow maker but he doesnt make an escape....its like he's hypnotised by the falling stick. Its an interesting vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfYR2kK81M&feature=related

I've had a few near misses when felling in the past - branches breaking out of the crown etc.

Anyone else had similar situations with either being too close to stump or widow makers?

Sometimes when we fell in tight locations there is no escape route.

Sounds terrible, I've got pics of an ash barber chairing, will put them up soon. Thanks for sharing the story of your dad's accident. Could you put the accident report up on arbtalk?

will do, may be later in the week though as it is saved on the work computer and I are'nt in the office until thursday.

:deal:Had a few intresting near misses both climbing and felling, but I always have my Fathers accident in the back of mind to keep me on my toes.

He was basicly crippled at the age of 35 when a large ash barber chaired, this through him up about 20 ft when it caught him in the rib cage, he ended up with 2 punctered lungs, both legs broken and all the nerves torn in his right arm which never regained any use with the trauma of the accident he went into a coma of which he came out 6months later.

I carry out some inhouse training for my present company and use this true story and the aftermath in handouts for the trainees to read at brew time any one wanting a copy please feel free to ask as its never failed yet to bring a know all to heel in a group.:deal:

Interesting. My father fell out of an Ash tree dismantle, 35ft onto rock. Punctured both lungs, smashed ribcage, broken arm, burst spleen, fractured skull. lost 6 pints of blood internally.

The stress of his accident gave him a nervous breakdown. He was back at work 6 weeks later, but it took him about 18 months to get through the depression.

How old were you when your father had his accident?

Interesting. My father fell out of an Ash tree dismantle, 35ft onto rock. Punctured both lungs, smashed ribcage, broken arm, burst spleen, fractured skull. lost 6 pints of blood internally.

The stress of his accident gave him a nervous breakdown. He was back at work 6 weeks later, but it took him about 18 months to get through the depression.

How old were you when your father had his accident?

12 years old, unfortunatly my father didn't work hands on again due to looseing total use of his right arm and long term internal damage, the doctors at the time estimated alife span afterwards of 10yrs max as per usual the awkard bugger proved them wrong and lived another 16 before he passed away in 1999.

on my cutting course i had the last 3 trees in my section of the woods, 2 scoties and a wee dead scotty in the middle. cut the wee one and pushed it out the way.

tree went down without a top, puzzled me brielfy, then it hit me. floored me, lesson learnt.

Jamie

Not only is he struck by an albeit small widow maker but he doesnt make an escape....its like he's hypnotised by the falling stick. Its an interesting vid. .

My old man was felling with a guy that got hit by a ash limb ,said he squeeled like a pig .He had a brain hemorage and died 2 months later.. take care out there..