Botanical names of cultivars, etc

Kveldssanger

I'm trying to teach myself about botanical nomenclature and author citations. There are various search engines out there, as well as the actual ICN site with the current principles and main code.

However, I am struggling to wrap my head around exactly where to find names of specific species.

For instance:

Robinia pseudoacacia L.

...but what would Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' be, just Robinia pseudoacacia L. 'Frisia'?

I am concerned with my understanding as Fraxinus angustifolia's oxycarpa variety is 'Fraxinus angustifolia subsp. oxycarpa (M.Bieb. ex Willd.) Franco & Rocha Afonso, Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 64: 377 (1971)', whereas I cannot seem to find any information on other varieties or cultivars.

Hope this makes sense.

Seems like Kveldssanger has already ordered the code for cultivated plants, but in case others are interested, order details are here:

International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants | International Society for Horticultural Science

and the bibliographic information is here:

INTERNATIONAL CODE OF NOMENCLATURE FOR CULTIVATED PLANTS edited by C.D. Brickell and others. Published by the International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS) as Scripta Horticulturae Vol. 10, 204 pages, October 2009 [iSSN 1813-9205 - ISBN 978-90-6605-662-6].

Keep in mind that the code of nomenclature is just that, how are names coined, conserved, accepted, rejected, etc. It is not a list of "approved" names as such.

As to how to cite cultivars properly, that is in there. If I have a need in an article or presentation to give a formal citation, I just look at back issues or previous presentation and see the editorial preferences for that venue. It can vary!

Thanks, guys. Really got a lot to wrap my head around, as this is a realm of the industry I have never really delved into. As with most things it will take time to learn, though it doesn't help that it's not a particular interest of mine.

If only all I had to learn were the mechanical attributes of trees...!