Veg oil

John Mac

I use pure rapeseed in all my saws, right up to the 42" on the 660. Have done for about 3 years, no issues so far.

I have a feeling those that have been having issues with veg have used other than rapeseed/canola, or maybe some of the newer bio oils. Personally, I have had no luck with any of the name brand 'bio oil'. They all are far too tacky, and gunk up like mad in dirty cutting. Rapeseed has the perfect mix of lubrication and viscosity, I find. But I use an air hose on my saw once a week at the very least, and between swapping bars if it's in the shop, so it's not likely to cake regardless.

Most of what I'm doing here is pretty light work, pruning palm trees, fruit trees etc so mainly using a little ms171, gutless but light and a 200t with my ms 291 for dropping whole palms and laurels etc, so really I suppose I would only be running under light loads so maybe veg would be ok. I think the key seems to be pure rapeseed, I'll try it for a while in the 171 and see how we go! Interesting replies, thanks very much