Not quite as planned/near miss

Couldyajust

Dismantling a smallish (20" butt) oak on a riverbank today everything rigged to get it across the river & landing it straight into the trailer.

My mainline was fixed in the tree next to it to save time repositioning it as I dismantled the tree. All going to plan well over halfway through so thought I would be knocking off early. Then I felt the earth move.....

pic1.jpg.840ad48a5afa0182c336edb7272a122d.jpg

Bloody glad my mainline was in another tree as I made a split second decision to cut through my grillon just in time to avoid going down with it. Just sustained a few scratches & bruises.

pic2.jpg.df8b315f6b04125c388e6bea678afa67.jpg

Anyway finished that tree albeit not quite as planned bar the stump which I will need the Hymac to pull out/tidy up but I think the rest will just be dropped in the river & winched up the bank on the other side as I don't fancy dismantling any more of these.

Photo's (not the best pics) courtesy of my groundies mobile phone.

You are a lucky man!

Did you chainsaw or silky your lanyard, quick thinking whichever as could have been nasty injuries otherwise.

Used the chainsaw.

Still not entirely sure what happened I knew something was very wrong & autopilot kicked in a bit like when dealing with kickback on a saw you make a decision on how to deal with it & you are either ok in for a visit to A&E. You don't have time to think things through you just act.

Did have to go for a pint or 6 last night though once the adrenaline wore off & it sunk in what could of happened, 12" diameter branches snapped like twigs when they hit the rock on the bottom of the river so my chances would not of been good if I had fallen.