Lost out

Starscream

Depends how big your overheads are. I work for a firm and do private work on the side. Don't have a chipper and don't earn enough to need to charge vat. I rely on the private work for my daughters childcare. Unfortunately, integrity doesn't pay the bills. So when it comes to getting work, I do what I can to ensure I get it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how big your overheads are. I work for a firm and do private work on the side. Don't have a chipper and don't earn enough to need to charge vat. I rely on the private work for my daughters childcare. Unfortunately, integrity doesn't pay the bills. So when it comes to getting work, I do what I can to ensure I get it.

Fair enough.

However....... What do you think other tree companies say about you winning the work they quote against you on?

Just wondering on how you think they react? You rely on it for childcare, they rely on work to earn a living and stay afloat.

Not arguing, just looking at it differently.

Totally see your point, but I suppose it's dog eat dog. Now, I must reiterate the point of this post. Firstly, of course we all get outbid on jobs for one reason or another, but the thread I raised was regarding losing the job in crappy/unfortunate circumstances. I wasn't looking for arguments with anyone or sympathy, it was more just sharing my days events. Thought that was what I could use the forum for, and just to hear about any other stories from other people on here.

Totally see your point, but I suppose it's dog eat dog. Now, I must reiterate the point of this post. Firstly, of course we all get outbid on jobs for one reason or another, but the thread I raised was regarding losing the job in crappy/unfortunate circumstances. I wasn't looking for arguments with anyone or sympathy, it was more just sharing my days events. Thought that was what I could use the forum for, and just to hear about any other stories from other people on here.

Thumbs up here Chief .

Ste

Just my take on being "too cheap" I suppose. How much would you want to earn for a day up a tree using all your kit? If you don't mind me asking of course :001_smile:

Course not, in your situation I'd want 200 quid, a lot depends on if you "found" the job, people forget that getting the work is the hard part.

Doing it, if you know your onions (as you seem to) is the easy bit.

Edited by Mountain man

Fair enough.

However....... What do you think other tree companies say about you winning the work they quote against you on?

Just wondering on how you think they react? You rely on it for childcare, they rely on work to earn a living and stay afloat.

Not arguing, just looking at it differently.

Also, unfortunately, childcare isn't a luxury, more a necessity. Would have to find the money one way or another :001_smile:

Yeah definitely win win.. I was pleased I got the call. And yes, I was recommended, but unbeknownst to the gentleman, his daughter had booked the guy to do it. So essentially we were both given the job, but they went with him because his daughter done some leg work. Fair play, but crap for me... Until today!!!