Anyone any good at working out a cedar tree tonnage?

wisecobandit

I know it can vary a great deal so can only be a rough idea but ive got a lebonese cedar tree that's split straight down the middle to go for logs!

Now the trunk is nearly 8ft diameter and some 150ft high and its approx. 250 years old!

I was hoping to give you an idea of size on google street view but isn't of any real help but may give you an idea in comparison.

Its the tree in the field between the lake and track (closer to the track) and you can see a shadow in the middle of the canopy.

Click on below link and select sattellite

https://www.google.com/maps/views/explore?gl=us&vm=1&ll=50.710989,-3.712287&bd=50.709009,-3.717281,50.712969,-3.707293&z=17&pv=2

20 ton of fire wood, not a clue really.

You could go scientific on it and pi r squared the average trunk radius times length and same for big branches to give approx volume. Then just google density of cedar, or use the tables in the HSE rigging research http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr668.pdf pages 140 - 144

e.g a 5 metre lenth of 50cm oak about a ton

The base diameter alone should mean nothing in itself since taper of trees varies.

Guessing won't matter if you don't have a measurement. At least Height, base diameter and the diameter near mid-height and top of your log.

You could use one of those conical frustum calculators online that does the volume math automatically, then multiply cubic feet by wood weight per cubic ft.

Hi WISE no large trailers down there then thanks Jon

Yeah I can lay my hands on a bigger trailer Jon not really much of an issue but due to the size of the trunk I will prob split there rings where they fall. That would mean throwing logs up into a higher trailer and when theres the amount of logs there is... Taking the tractor/trailer there from a different location 10 miles away etc etc

I know its a ball ache but also due to its location sticking a tractor and 10 tonne trailer across a field that's got some damp spots which is used for various public activitys and the main view out the window of "the manor" its more a case of just trying to keep the main man sweet along with damage limitation.

I may see if I can borrow a small 5 t trailer or something as we have a 45hp compact tractor always there onsite to use the splitter and winch anyway and would prob make most sense.

Yeah I can lay my hands on a bigger trailer Jon not really much of an issue but due to the size of the trunk I will prob split there rings where they fall. That would mean throwing logs up into a higher trailer and when theres the amount of logs there is... Taking the tractor/trailer there from a different location 10 miles away etc etc

I know its a ball ache but also due to its location sticking a tractor and 10 tonne trailer across a field that's got some damp spots which is used for various public activitys and the main view out the window of "the manor" its more a case of just trying to keep the main man sweet along with damage limitation.

I may see if I can borrow a small 5 t trailer or something as we have a 45hp compact tractor always there onsite to use the splitter and winch anyway and would prob make most sense.

HI MATE fields are like lakes here i no what you min:thumbup1: thanks jon :thumbup:

HI MATE fields are like lakes here i no what you min:thumbup1: thanks jon :thumbup:

Least if im using the equipment I have there on site I can grab a few loads as and when if the ground dries up for a few days. If I have to go there with a big tractor I would want to do it all the same day and arrange it in advance not knowing what the weather could do.

It only has to go half a mile up the track so its not like it needs to be carted miles either.