Inonotus dryadeus

Hannah

Would be beneficial to aid the old girl with a retrenchment toward where the natural lower canopy is forming.

Be of interest to see if this is happening from the other aspects of the Tree.

You still in it's neighbourhood aitch?

That lowest lever looks like it could be very prone to a natural fracture :sad:

Hi D I know this tree well. my knowledge of retrenchment is kind of poor though, what is the first port of call as far as starting the process on a tree of this size? As Hannah says this tree will be left as it is is until it falls but it would be lovely to try and get the owners to be a bit more proactive. I would almost be up for doing it FOC to learn something from the process

Dermot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi D I know this tree well. my knowledge of retrenchment is kind of poor though, what is the first port of call as far as starting the process on a tree of this size? As Hannah says this tree will be left as it is is until it falls but it would be lovely to try and get the owners to be a bit more proactive. I would almost be up for doing it FOC to learn something from the process

Dermot

Hello Dermot,

the following should be a good guide, if you haven't already seen it.

It's basically where I started, and then it's a pretty much about seeing how the tree responds & then spec further works accordingly.

How's aitch, not seen her on here of late, is she still working?

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/downloads/8%20-%20Coronet%20cuts%20&%20retrenchment%20pruning%2017%20April%202003.pdf

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/downloads/13%20-%20Guidance%20Diagramme.pdf

Cool, I remember this PDF, used to work the with the chap in the red stretch airs:001_smile: Shes in great form living back in Ireland now, next door to me actually, its a bit like east enders :001_smile:

Ill try and get a few more pics of said Oak tree and if I can figure out how to upload them I will, its known locally as the Ely,O Carroll Oak and contoray to the owners thoughts of it being several hundred years its been dendro dated and is actually about 180yrs old.:001_smile:

Ill keep you posted

Dermot

• 2 months later...

Here from today at Ashtead common.

A well desicated dryadeus, at a more unusual height than is normally noted.

Would be interesting to ascertain if this was fruiting from the top of a cone of decay eminating from the base, or whether this is acting as a basal decay of the scaffold branch.

IMG_1080.jpg.1b229050a7517b445fdad4710165372e.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg.f19c207071f5be54a4683e0ae6847046.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg.c6f60137bf7bda2b764bf432debe6fc4.jpg