Gearbox ratio for loglogic sawmill pump

bella wood

Hello ,, looking for some advice on what ratio gearbox to get for hydraulic pumps to drive loglogic sawmill , double pumps group 3 + group 2 ,,

Sawmill was run off a fordson major engine with pumps connected direct to flywheel ,, go ge he saw to run reasonable the engine had to be run flat out at high revs which probs still wasnt enough rpm for the pumps ,,

Engine is about to go bang so im looking at the option of making pto power pack ,, I dont want tractor running at tick over as it laboured the fordson engine when cutting hard and i think trekkasaw engine are 65kw

Anybody got a pto power pack or anybody got any advice

Cheers

The major was about 50hp at 2400rpm and if it needs 65kw that's almost 90hp and the pumps should spin at 3000rpm.

So you can see why the old major engine struggled.

You need a decent size tractor on that really.

But if you wanted to make a powerpack for it I would speak to flowfit - Flowfit the leading worldwide suppliers of hydraulic components

If you get all the numbers off the pumps they should be able to tell you what size engine you need, bellhousing, coupling etc.

Hello Kevm ,,

The figures for major engine are about what i had in my mind and yes i realised pumps need to be in he region of 3000rpm

I got my kw and hp mixed up, trekka saw has 67 hp engine,, Ive used flowfit alot for hydraulic stuff and rate them ,,

Ive got everything needed for a pto driven power pack apart from a suitable gearbox,,

can any other loglogic sawmill owners help any ??

Speak to Marcus or Graham @Loglogic(01884 839 999) ,both top blokes, I am sure they will have the info available, below, are current engine,hydraulic specs used on Autotreks:

4 cylinder Lombardini LDW 2204CHD, 49Kw (67hp turbo), water cooled diesel pack

• 30kw Closed loop hydrostatic transmission to the Saw Head.

• 24 l/min Auxiliary Gear pump for log handling and cutting controls.

hope this helps

Tim