Chainsaw advise

Hunterdoncaster

thanks Gary, yes the protective gear is first thing on my list

Personally I'd put decent training at the top of your list. Apart from ear defenders all the other PPE is to protect you against mistake so you're best having the training to minimise/eliminate mistakes. Get the PPE by all means but the training is the real life saver.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd put decent training at the top of your list. Apart from ear defenders all the other PPE is to protect you against mistake so you're best having the training to minimise/eliminate mistakes. Get the PPE by all means but the training is the real life saver.

They won't let you do the training if you don't have the gear so the gear has to go to the top ;)

PPE suggestions aside, although nobody has mentioned a helmet?!

If you're going to be doing smallish logs <14" a husky 135 or Stihl 211 (or whatever the dol/mak is called), next jump up is 50-60cc for up to 18" - husky 545 or 555, Stihl 291-391 (no!) or mak/dol equivalent, finally for big stuff there's the husky 365, beast of a machine, neither of the other two make an equivalent model for semi-pro afaik

Just as an aside here . Fit good quality stoves in your fire places . They will heat better than an open fire and you will use slightly less logs

yes my friend I was planning that for this year, it's an old house and I like an open fire in the front room but the rest will be stoves eventually , it's also much safer as my kids are only young and to have three fires on the go at once is just to much.

Top man, yes it is matter of fact, I think I have a good lad to go to out towards Goole , was given his number yesterday , I want to do a few courses, felling and tree work , I am very interested in it and it's something I have never done until now

The places I've been will loan/rent all the PPE you need. If your budget is limited, spend your money on training and ear defenders first with remaining PPE a close second.

yes I have noticed that but this is something I will always do so I have started to invest in some already, I have bought some good trousers and a good helmet and visor , I have more gloves than I have fire wood and decided to ask the forum if separate boots were essential , seems though they are so I will get a pair tomorrow.

saw will come last but I am pretty sure I will stick to what I know, Makita are good kit, Dolmar on the other hand sound just up my street too so I will have a think about it.

You got any advise for a good pair of boots ?

yes I have noticed that but this is something I will always do so I have started to invest in some already, I have bought some good trousers and a good helmet and visor , I have more gloves than I have fire wood and decided to ask the forum if separate boots were essential , seems though they are so I will get a pair tomorrow.

saw will come last but I am pretty sure I will stick to what I know, Makita are good kit, Dolmar on the other hand sound just up my street too so I will have a think about it.

You got any advise for a good pair of boots ?

Dolmar is makita, it's just a different badge and colour.

In regards to boots, an alternative option is spats, which are chainsaw protective covers for boots, assuming you wear actual boots and not riggers.