S/H value of Stihl MS181?

Duncan R

:001_tongue: Funnily enough, I have someone interested in the saw only at £135, there is one on e bay at the minute for £125 and it looks a right old dog of a mess, another was up to £109 with a while to run...mine is nigh on mint in comparison. If it sells I'll be very happy knowing someone has got a decent saw with very few hours on it in as new condition while significantly cheaper than new. If it sells it sells, if not i'll hang on to it. Hopefully I can get the powersharp kit returned.

Fair enough God loves a tryer and god knows im trying :001_smile: can't understand why anyone would pay almost as much second hand as it cost new

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand, people sometimes pay more on ebay second hand than you can buy new for. They just get engrossed in the bidding and haven't done their research. On the other hand, there are plenty of sharks who will buy your saw, strip it for parts, and then say it didn't work. So be careful!

Average price for an MS181 seems to be around the £220 mark...take into account if you find one cheaper somewhere you'll almost certainly have to travel more often than not to the dealer to collect, £135 for a low hours/very decent looking saw is nowhere near new price in the grand scheme of things, it's approx' 60% 'ish. I don't think I'll use it much now but if it doesn't sell without too much effort I'll hang on to it, the interested party is from a forum....I wouldn't sell it through e bay, period....just used the site to gauge current prices. You guys who have been around chain saws all your life might well be right in not wanting to pay more than £70 for a pipsqueek of a saw :001_smile:, I'd be the same with certain things shooting/fishing to be honest, but it's worth more than that to someone wanting an honest unit in 1st class condition who's wanting to save a bit of cash along the way. If it was a scraped up, beat up old dog of a thing full of burrs, scratches and gouges that ran uneven and had little compression £70 might make sense.

Stick it on ebay and you may be surprised how well it goes. I was watching a 181 last week. It went for just shy of £200 with £20 delivery. I found new ones slightly cheaper on a Google search. People buying on the bay just seem to think everything is a bargain and often pay over the odds for things. I sold a 435 husky a little while ago and wished I hadn't as it was a great little saw for the smaller stuff. May just be worth keeping hold of?

Stick it on ebay and you may be surprised how well it goes. I was watching a 181 last week. It went for just shy of £200 with £20 delivery. I found new ones slightly cheaper on a Google search. People buying on the bay just seem to think everything is a bargain and often pay over the odds for things. I sold a 435 husky a little while ago and wished I hadn't as it was a great little saw for the smaller stuff. May just be worth keeping hold of?

Really?...:laugh1:, incredible. I tend to stay away from e bay if I can help it, hopefully this guy that wants it will have it. If he does I will meet him half way or he'll come over here and try it out before parting with cash.

I thought you got a 5121? If so, that's a 50cc saw - a full 70% more displacement than your old 181. The 181 should feel anemic by comparison. Once your rings set in and the bottom end moves more freely, she will come alive even more so.

I thought you got a 5121? If so, that's a 50cc saw - a full 70% more displacement than your old 181. The 181 should feel anemic by comparison. Once your rings set in and the bottom end moves more freely, she will come alive even more so.

Yes wyk.......turned up today, will have more time to use it tomorrow but very pleased on initial try out earlier today. Very nice saw it seems and plenty of guts in comparison.

Any update on the DCS5121? What do you reckon to the extra oomph, weight and dare I say build quality?

It does feel quite a bit heavier in a reassuring way, not sure of actual difference? but it 'feels' significant, the general build quality/fasteners/switchgear are impressive and it was suprisingly effortless to start, I like the way it picks up/warms up/idles, sounds good too. It flew through some 14" Ash :001_smile:. I intend to get properly stuck in tomorrow, very pleased so far but not really done too much with it yet.