Small Woodland Management - Help And Guidance Appreciated

I'm not actually sure, since I haven't been able to get into most of it yet. Some of the ash is a reasonable size for burning. I did coppice a few just to get some light into a struggling bluebell patch. I'll see if I can find a bit of it and count the rings.

I need to make some room anyway and get my rotation going, so will clear and cut an area and go from there.

The Hazel will be getting too big for anything useful, so will need cutting anyway if I am going to keep it in rotation.

I'll be spending a few days down there this week hopefully, so will get some new pics.

i'll look forward to seeing the winter pics, much easier to see whats what in the winter.

Sounds like you've got to clear some of that understory to get better access, then you'd be better able to make decisions. I've decided to go slow with mine and I'm suprised eveytime I go in there at themoment. Something new comes to light!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the pictures aren't great, but anybody else got any general thoughts on it? Am I mad taking it on?

I know it's going to need a lot of work initially at least, but 5 acres isn't very big and I'm hoping it'll be a fun project and turn into somewhere nice and peaceful for relaxing and enjoying with the family.

Looks like a lovely bit of woodland, and your certainly not mad taking it on. Generally speaking any well considered management is better than no management at all.

I would definitely recommend widening the rides as one of your first jobs. Great for the wildlife and will help keep your tracks dry for access and extraction etc.

Keep us updated on how you get on:thumbup:

I've been doing the same sort of thing for two years.

A plan is essential, talk to SWOG or the Woodland Trust.

For biodiversity leave all standing deadwood unless it is dangerous and build habitat piles from brash. Plant trees that provide food for wildlife like elder, hawthorn, blackthorn, crab apple.

Open spaces are important and make a pond if possible.

Have you fenced it off. You don't want people and dogs walking around when you are using a chainsaw.

I've been doing the same sort of thing for two years.

A plan is essential, talk to SWOG or the Woodland Trust.

For biodiversity leave all standing deadwood unless it is dangerous and build habitat piles from brash. Plant trees that provide food for wildlife like elder, hawthorn, blackthorn, crab apple.

Open spaces are important and make a pond if possible.

Have you fenced it off. You don't want people and dogs walking around when you are using a chainsaw.

Thats interesting Sysiphus,

Whats SWOG? I guess you found the Woodland Trust helpful? Any grants forthcoming or is it more advice thats useful?

Whats SWOG? I guess you found the Woodland Trust helpful? Any grants forthcoming or is it more advice thats useful?

That's the Small Wood Owners Group.

Another organisation that would be really worthwhile joining is the RFS http://www.rfs.org.uk/ Get in touch with your local division and you'll find a wealth of fantastic knowledge and experience. The visits that they run will be useful too.

Good advice apart from the fencing off bit. I'd rather my wood was a local resource valued by the community than my little castle. People value and protect woods they use.

I agree with you on the fence Woodguy, mine is open. I have been disapointed however to discover a little plot of cannabis, tread in a dog poop and find someone has carved their initals in a tree :thumbdown: I'm hoping that when I start working in it, and it looks a little less neglected, than maybe that will encourage other folks to look after it too.

That's the Small Wood Owners Group.

Another organisation that would be really worthwhile joining is the RFS Welcome to the Royal Forestry Society Get in touch with your local division and you'll find a wealth of fantastic knowledge and experience. The visits that they run will be useful too.

Cheers John K,

Appreciate that :thumbup:

Good advice apart from the fencing off bit. I'd rather my wood was a local resource valued by the community than my little castle. People value and protect woods they use.

I prefer to fence off my woodlands but have gates that I never lock. By ensuring that people access from only 2 or 3 points you can be more confident that they will read signs warning timber harvesting dates plus interesting info on history, ecology, maps, etc which should add to the experience.