Cheap bars and chains

aesmith

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run Carlton chains and find them as good as Oregon for me..... its usually an unseen stone, or my crap filing which wrecks them. But its the same reasons why i dont buy dearer chains.... waste of money on gnarly, windblown and skidded firewood IMO

Have seen Windsor chains advertised - anyone tried them or know much of them?

Oregon, Carlton, Windsor,are all Blount industries manufactured & in my part of France Carlton & Windsor brand's come & go. 2 or so years ago most Windsor kit disappeared, all Carlton, now Windsors back & Carlton is difficult to source. A lot of Blount products available here seem to now be produced in Belgium The last Windsor Lo Pro chain compered very well with Carlton's equiv & wasn't as "chatterie" as 91VXL from Oregon. I have not used Std 3/8 or 325, as the company I service saws for gets Stihl Chain for their commercial logging setup, so I use almost none of other brands, & IMO the Lo Pro way to go is Stihl PS (No safety bumpers, yellow label)

Comparing cheap bars to Husky bars is a bit pointless IMO as husky bars are crap- (im a die-hard husky user) the sooner I can get an Oregon pro-lite on my saws the better! Looking 3 months commercial forestry from Oregon bars, opposed to maybe 6 weeks on an equivalent husky.:thumbdown:

Try a Sugihara, Tsumura, or if available Cannon, You could be surprised, pleased on the lack of wear compared to Oregon. We use Sugi's in a commercial set up; used to use Tsumura's but can source sugi's at a more competitive price, but nothing to choose between either in performance terms, & in our usage are lasting up to 3 times longer than Oregon ( could be dependent on the cost you can obtain them for though) but to our company it's a no contest. As an aside you Husky bar was more than likely an Oregon Product as I don't think Husky's new bar producing Factory is pushing out production bars yet? Sawtroll will know;

.... As an aside you Husky bar was more than likely an Oregon Product as I don't think Husky's new bar producing Factory is pushing out production bars yet? Sawtroll will know;

Huskys bar factory has been operational for decades in Norway, but "solid" bars never was made there - only laminated ones (far from all of them), and lately the TechLite bars.

It is their chain factory that is supposed to become operational in 2015. :wink:

Oregon, Carlton, Windsor,are all Blount industries manufactured & in my part of France Carlton & Windsor brand's come & go. 2 or so years ago most Windsor kit disappeared, all Carlton, now Windsors back & Carlton is difficult to source. A lot of Blount products available here seem to now be produced in Belgium The last Windsor Lo Pro chain compered very well with Carlton's equiv & wasn't as "chatterie" as 91VXL from Oregon. I have not used Std 3/8 or 325, as the company I service saws for gets Stihl Chain for their commercial logging setup, so I use almost none of other brands, & IMO the Lo Pro way to go is Stihl PS (No safety bumpers, yellow label)

Cheers for the insight!

Iv not had any bother getting Carlton chains in 5+ years - but im not a heavy user, so dont go through a huge number of chains. I buy them as they are IMO as good as Oregon chains, but cheaper - i dont grudge wrecking them quite as much on the odd stone iv missed spotting after iv dragged a tree out. Thats the same reason why i dont buy Stihl chains, they are good but dearer again. Its just not worth it for me.

I hadnt heard of Windsor before, then saw a local shop selling their chains - very cheap but i was cautious to try one. Same as all these unbranded ones on Ebay at the moment...

Cheers for the insight!

Iv not had any bother getting Carlton chains in 5+ years - but im not a heavy user, so dont go through a huge number of chains. I buy them as they are IMO as good as Oregon chains, but cheaper - i dont grudge wrecking them quite as much on the odd stone iv missed spotting after iv dragged a tree out. Thats the same reason why i dont buy Stihl chains, they are good but dearer again. Its just not worth it for me.

I hadnt heard of Windsor before, then saw a local shop selling their chains - very cheap but i was cautious to try one. Same as all these unbranded ones on Ebay at the moment...

A genuine Windsor chain will compere well to Carlton & be premier league to the cheap' y Chicom ones available.

I run Carlton chains and find them as good as Oregon for me..... its usually an unseen stone, or my crap filing which wrecks them. But its the same reasons why i dont buy dearer chains.... waste of money on gnarly, windblown and skidded firewood IMO

Have seen Windsor chains advertised - anyone tried them or know much of them?

I have been using Archer or Carlton chains (Mister-solutionsltd.com) for years as well as Oregon and apart from having to sharpen a bit more often the cheapos perform well at half the price. I suspect the cheap chains are made from a softer metal bit IMO that makes em easier to hand sharpen.