Recommendations on a sawhorse

yesyesjacko

Ive been looking for a sawhorse with 12inch log capacity and cant seem to find anything that looks reliable and also value for money. Im sick of catching chains in the barn when cutting smaller sections and also give my back enough of a hammering during the day to be cutting on the ground.

Any suggestions would be welcome and also if anyone has built there own then a picture to point me in the correct direction to build my own would be much appreciated.

Im also after a ms440 or ms460 if anyone is selling please.

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest typing "sawhorse" in the search option which is in the toolbar at the top. You will get lots of opinions if you browse that lot.

I only have a forestmaster ultimate sawhorse and am happy with it. Its a back saver for the size your asking abouts. Its alot cheaper now as well.

Depends on how much logs you are doing!! I've attached a drawing of what I used in the past. Logs 1&2 are used to support the log being cut and also it stops the chain getting damaged as it just cuts into logs 1&2. once log has been cut to length and thrown clear just roll log #4 into place on logs 1&2 and repeat as often as required or until logs run out. leg height made to suit in my case short see pdf file:001_tongue: Then made this which saves me loads of work and double handling. :thumbup::thumbup:

IMAG0277.jpg.725acee42b379bd5a7558907b442b05e.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg.ec4a2b71f6e378281dd63fd88710e3e8.jpg

Document (3).pdf

Edited by CallumA

My sawhorse is built with a taper so it'll work with all sizes. I work with a lot of small diameter stuff from hedges or tree thining, so you can load it up, put a ratchet strap around it, run the saw through, and you'll have a pile of firing for maybe a minutes sawing. Also makes it a safe one person operation as I keep a ratchet strap attached permanently at one end and always use it.

Will comfortably work with bigger stuff as well if you wish. Took a couple of quick photos yesterday but you can load it well above the arms in normal use.

Photo-0010.jpg.035ea983ee964809f389b1821b3e9823.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg.95720bc2ba1668aec0eab69ba8c3b0b1.jpg

Photo-0001.jpg.44965427ead7ced6e8f45b8a898948f3.jpg

I've got a guy who makes us all our gates and railings and these are defo something he can make me. I've got some big wood (2' to 5') that needs cutting on the ground. But majority is 4" all the way upto 12 and I like using the smaller diameter timber as a lot if elderly customers like it as they can grip it easy when picking it up. Some of the s**te I've seen on ebay wouldn't last 5 mins.

Thanks again chaps ;-)

I've got a guy who makes us all our gates and railings and these are defo something he can make me.

I'd say that's the way to go, and if you're using it commercially don't skimp on the materials either. I'm not a heavy user, only what's needed to heat our own place, but the most of the things I've seen for sale would've been knocked in to shite a long time ago whereas this thing will probably be about here longer than me!

I'd say that's the way to go, and if you're using it commercially don't skimp on the materials either. I'm not a heavy user, only what's needed to heat our own place, but the most of the things I've seen for sale would've been knocked in to shite a long time ago whereas this thing will probably be about here longer than me!

Definitely. My old man used to say I'd break Tonka toys and I did hahaha.

I want it heavy duty enough to last years of use and so that it can't be moved by any of the scrap metal posse. ;-)