RHI payments on Solar Drying

arboriculturist

10-14 days to bring the moisture down from 50-60 to 20-25 is easy to achieve but your design needs to follow commercial kiln technology of high temperature making the most of the 6 bar capability of solar tubes rather than the low temperature of the typical biomass boiler kiln discussed previously on the forum. Also there is no point in having a high temperature kiln if you then just vent that heat to the atmosphere so a heat recovery system is vital.

If u tried to PM to me previously - apologies, my inbox has been full for a while - sorted now. Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not gone forward with my instillation for a number of reasons. The foremost been there's a firm on the horizon doing what log pro set out to do its good setup with a good product. As the guy is a friend they don't want to take all the RHI either.

The other been the fact I'm not going to get it sorted by Jan1st so I may as well sit back & see what develops.

When do expect your friend to be posting on the Forum?

I am always interested in the latest products that become available.

For those with an endless supply of unusable timber that can't be chipped and they have the time to naturally dry it, batch boilers may have a place if the emissions following accreditation are credible.

I think if his pricing structure is sensible , he may have a lucrative business in the making, based on the fact that many seem keen to sign up for 20 years free payments the government are offering.

The plan so thus far is you get the boiler container all associated equipment if you hit the required amount you get a return on the RHI . If you do not hit the target they take it back. It works the boilers been accredited all you need is a 24 volt supply and water& be kiln drying around 600 tonnes. Or you buy it outright and do your own thing.

He has invested heavily so far then.

Very few firewood retailers are in a position to be able to purchase outright, or raise finance, so the uptake will be the other option.

It will be interesting to see the pricing structure - for sure there will be an initial down-payment required to cover the assoiciated installation costs and to recover the installation if the end user does not hit the targets.

Thanks

if its commercial biomass, with the projected continual dregressions of RHI then there is a very small window of opportunity really. If you are not taking the RHI yourself, then to let someone else have it or most of it, you have to supply the fuel to dry 600 tonnes, you have a substantial overhead to cover.

That "fuel" could have been chipped or processed and sold as seasoned logs, so it does cost you.

Don't get me wrong, I can see it works for people, inc me! I have just installed my own, but you need to properly make a business decision, not just see the £xxxxx for 20 years!!

The plan so thus far is you get the boiler container all associated equipment if you hit the required amount you get a return on the RHI . If you do not hit the target they take it back. It works the boilers been accredited all you need is a 24 volt supply and water& be kiln drying around 600 tonnes. Or you buy it outright and do your own thing.

Does the innovator of the system plan to post their proposals on the Forum?