Isa, bsc or treelife?

samiad

Interesting, ive never heard of this path il look into it! Cheers. You know any places that teach it?

The ISA is an american based organisation but they are striving to gain recognition in the uk and europe. Their exam is strong on tree care and biology, including irrigation and soil science with no practical elements where as the RFS

Does include practical elements both in application and assessments.

It can be done either by attending a college - usually one day a week - for a year or even online/distance learning.

I'm not sure where you are based, but in the london area Capel Manor College currently deliver the R.F.S. and also host the ISA exam day. I'm pretty sure most land based colleges will give you access to one or both of them.

Level 4 would be my ultimate goal in your position, AA Tech Cert is highly regarded and gaining the RFS first would give you a good grounding in the terminology and principles that would be needed to be comfortable when starting out at level 4.

Ultimately it's up to you, there are so many variations and options available, good on you for wanting to take your knowledge to higher levels m8

sounds like level 4 is where i'd like to be at long term. how demanding did you find it time wise and stepping up from isa level? i like the idea of attending classes but also working on tools and doing some online. seems like a great setup down there at treelife.

When I did L4 it was on the old tech cert version which was exam based. Workload was fine and didn't have a problem with the step up. I had already done national certificate a few years earlier as a full time course. That is L2 and similar format to RFS. I didn't think there was any difference between ISA and NC really. ISA is already recognised in the UK as it is on the QCF.

The new L4 and L6 are formatively assessed by portfolio production. You have to hit 100% of the assessment criteria. I can't comment on L4 but the workload for L6 is horrendous. I did choose to complete in 2 years though and in reality you can take up to five so don't be scared by that. On the up side the learning is unbelievable and well worth the effort. You get so much more from it than exam based.

There is also a L2 version of the above which is run by ABC same as the other two by portfolio. Worth considering as it bolts on to L4 & 6.

Speak with Dave at tree life. Tell him you are looking at L4 with him at some point and ask his advice on the best route. That would be my advice.