Help needed to fix my first chipper

aiden

The bungee won't give a problem with one roller and not the other - they both work from the same oil supply controlled by the spool block so there would be a problem with both rollers or neither rollers if that makes sense.

Whilst the motor is removed is there smooth free rotation of the roller? Do the bearings feel ok? These bearings need greasing - have they been?

What condition is the top roller pivot in? Again, does it move freely? Is there any wear here that might allow the top roller to twist and foul on the roller housing body?

If you track the problem down to the motor itself (if everything above checks out ok then swap them over and give it a try) then try flow fit for a new replacement - they aren't as dear as you might think...

I'm not personally familiar with the 180 but from your pics it looks similar in design to other GM machines - if you do take the lower motor off then pull the lower roller at the same time and be prepared to replace the bearing and bearing carrier - these go fairly frequently as they are often overlooked when greasing (I'm aware of some early gm machines where it isn't actually possible to grease them). Whilst the rollers are off stick them on the bench and give them some flap disk sharpy sharpy time - it's a bitch to do in situ and can make quite a difference to performance.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also consider checking the pressure relief valve pressure. This should as close to 3000psi on that model. If it blows at, say, 2000psi, then that could stall the rollers. Talk to your local dealer or hydraulics people, them have a set up that will allow you to take it out have them set it at their premises rather than taking the whole machine to them.

had good look when top roller was out and there are no bearings on this, it slots straight into the hydrolic motor. It looks like bottom roller has bearings as it attaches to side of housing opposite the hydrolic motor. So maybe it will be the hydrolic motor not working ,i will swap later this week.

will get the flap disc on both rollers as well :)

Aiden, the valve is in the spool block by the battery, I'm pretty sure it is on the same side as that control lever with the bungy. It is a threaded grub screw which takes a 5mm Allen key in the end (guessed size) which is locked off with an M8 nut (13mm spanner). The body of the valve is hexagonal, probably M12 (19mm spanner) and maybe 30mm long. For your info, you adjust the pressure setting by undoing the locknut and tightening (or slackening) the Allen key until the desired pressure is reached. Then lock it off. A pressure gauge and tap is put in the line usually before the top motor and momentarily dead end it with the tap, noting what the gauge goes to, then adjusting until 3000psi is reached.

If the pressure is down, one indeed may stop and the other work. The top roller shaft is supported in two bearings which share a grease nipple - you would have wear marks in the shaft where the bearings sit and you would defo see if they were failing.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for that detailed answer pete , i am going to follow monkeybusiness instructions today and swap the roller motors and see if the probelm stays with the top roller. Do i need to bleed the hydrolic system after changing the motors? and if so how?

After this, if the problem is still with the top roller i will buy a pressure guage to check the hydrolic pressure.

i will also strip out the top roller and take some pictures as i am sure there are no bearings on the roller ( only bearings and shared grease point are on the arm that lets the wholeroller and motor lift up and down). So want to double check now in case the bearings from the roller are missing.

all this help is great as learning a lot and when sorted my 15 year old chipper is going to work really well.

Also Hodge. you're on another thread telling a guy to move a crap saw on eBay.

Presumably you'll advise him to tell the buyer that it's crap.

I'm telling him to sell the saw on eBay if he is not happy with it, nowt to do with me as to how he describes it. I wouldn't sell something that's not right. He is saying the saw isn't as good as the new version.