PPE & Insurance (for employees/employers) your opinions?

Treeworld

As far as I am aware this is correct. If you work as an employee and company deduct your tax and Nat the the company is obligated to give/lend you all the PPE you need to carry out your duties safely .Should you have an accident and not have the correct PPE because they have not given it to you then its the employer that would be found at fault .If however the employer had supplied the correct PPE and the employee chose not to ware it but the employer had taken all the reasonable steps to ensure the employee was in compliance and waring it then the company's would not be found at fault the employee would be held responsible for his / actions .

If you are self employed then its your your job to supplie the PPE. but its the company's job to make sure that they are providing a safe work place by putting in the safety measures and drawing up the risk assessments .

Should the self employed person be working on site they have to comply with the risk assessment that has been drawn up for the job they are carrying out IE the correct up to standard PPE for the task. This should be read and signed by the person carrying out the job.

Should the self employed person not come with the correct kit to do the job then the employee can do 2 things either supple the kit or tell the person home to come back with the correct kit for the task.

It may be different to this but this is how I understand it to work in the workplace .

Eastwater:001_smile:

Years ago when I worked for a large national company, we were issued all ppe to do the job, and it was signed for in triplicate, one copy for employee, one for the local managers, and one for head office. We also had to take "reasonable care" of all ppe. Standard ppe was issued, if we wanted something better, ie boots we were given a budget, and if that was exceeded we paid the extra. managers also carried out spot inspections to ensure ppe was worn, with a written warning issued if it wasnt.

So far as insurance, all employers must have Employers Liability Insurance, by law and tbh I have always had personal accident cover too, just in case.

Edited by Andy Collins

I've just left college and working for two companies on a self employed basis. I don't have my own insurance but have been told that I'm covered by their insurance when working for them, is this correct or do I need to look into getting covered myself?

Cheers

I've just left college and working for two companies on a self employed basis. I don't have my own insurance but have been told that I'm covered by their insurance when working for them, is this correct or do I need to look into getting covered myself?

Cheers

You will/should be covered by them, employers liability is law they must have it public liability isnt so er dont break anything or have a word with them about it.

Bald monkey as an absolute minimum you should have PL insurance, I mean I do some freelance and know full well that if you were to cause damage to something as a subbie then its on your shift mate.

Not necessarily its the company contracted to do the work that pay out, its just that they might make you.