Tree Work at Height - draft new Industry Code of Practice

daltontrees

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I see the new Industry Code of Practice has been published now by the AA. I am pleased to see that it is a vast improvement on the draft, which was almost impossible to read. I made some suggestions to the AA myself and was relieved to see that they had been taken on board. Others must have done the same, it is definitely improved.

Industry Code of Practice: Tree Work at Height

So, I went from thinking I might try to get through my professional life without ever having to look at the ICoP again, to now thinking it is quite a good summary of the H&S issues in aerial tree work. Already I am thinking that from both the consultancy side when drawing up specifications and from the contracting side when drawing up quotes it could be a really useful shorthhand to say that the ICoP (or at least the relevant parts of it) will be observed.

Anybody else looked at it or got any thoughts on it? I'm not a plant from the AA PR dept, (honest!) I am just as ever interested in where the industry is at.

Hi all, and Jules in particular, AND apologies for both missing this post to date AND not bringing it to the forum earlier :blushing: ....but THANK YOU Jules for so doing :thumbup1:

If I may, just to try to give the 'ICOP' document a place in the H&S legislation hierarchy ("STAY AWAKE" :biggrin:):

- Health and Safety at Work ACT 1974 (HASWA)

- Work at Height REGS 2005 (WAHR)

- Approved Code of Practice (ACOP) BUT there is no ACOP for the WAHR

- Industry Code of Practice (ICOP) i) 'Tree Work at Height', AND ii) Industrial Rope Access (IRATA) a separate document.

- Industry Guidance (HSE) - INDG401 / AFAG 401/2/3

- Industry Guidance (Industry, AA) - Guide to Good Climbing Practice (GGCP) / Guide to use of MEWPs in Arb. (GUMA)

OMG, I so hope I'm not confusing things further here but I'm just trying to point out that the Treework ICOP is essentially a management tool for those tasked with the planning, organisation and arrangements of tree work activities. Guidance at this level is usually provided by the ACOP but there is no ACOP for the WAHR (don't know why as ACOPs for all other REGS I believe.)

The next step is the review of existing technical guides, e.g. GGCP and GUMA, and production of new ones for rigging, cranes etc. which will commence this year.

So, the document is not generally aimed at those undertaking tree work operations unless they happen to be the same person planning the work beforehand.

Right, back into the AA bunker...double-quick :001_rolleyes:

Joking apart please post back any queries and I'll try to help.

Thanks all..:thumbup1:

Paul