Hedge Laying

hamdogg

Read up and get in there and have a go. I did some when I worked on school gardens about 40 years ago with a couple of blokes who knew what they were doing and I vaguely remember how to do it :D How long is the hedge and how long have you got to do it ? There are different styles of regional hedge laying and some look more complicated but if they just want the hedge lower and filling some gaps in you should cope.

When you lay their hedge, make sure to also check if they have any scrap metal, make sure to urinate behind a tombstone with fresh flowers and leave all the brash in a heap in a corner (but not too far out the way, keep it unsightly).

Or: you don't know what you're doing, so ask someone who does to do it for you or teach you.

I'm finding it hard to believe all the "just have a go" comments on this forum of people who's average opinion seems to be that tree surgery is a high form of art never to be attempted by mere mortals...

When you lay their hedge, make sure to also check if they have any scrap metal, make sure to urinate behind a tombstone with fresh flowers and leave all the brash in a heap in a corner (but not too far out the way, keep it unsightly).

Or: you don't know what you're doing, so ask someone who does to do it for you or teach you.

I'm finding it hard to believe all the "just have a go" comments on this forum of people who's average opinion seems to be that tree surgery is a high form of art never to be attempted by mere mortals...

I've been doing tree work along time here in the uk and overseas!! I'm good at my job and take pride in my work!! I've just never done hedge laying before bit I'm not about to attack a hedge if I think I'm gonna make a mess of it! I will prob seek someone who has done it to help me, so I can also learn!!

I've been doing tree work along time here in the uk and overseas!! I'm good at my job and take pride in my work!! I've just never done hedge laying before bit I'm not about to attack a hedge if I think I'm gonna make a mess of it! I will prob seek someone who has done it to help me, so I can also learn!!

In the same position as yourself, have been doing tree work and landscaping for many years but have always wanted to do a bit of hedge laying not to any competition standard but just so it looks nice and tidy.

Have brought a great book from the APF show with good instructions/pictures etc and have started buying the tools what are needed,couple of different bill hooks,axes and so on.i will stat doing small hedges when I feel confident in doing so and may generate a little bit more work hopefully. It's all about being confident in what you do and how you do it.:thumbup:

It might be worth contacting your local authority countryside section. Sometimes down this way they run events where you can learn hedgelaying/dry stone walling etc. They have been totally free and a good way to learn the skills.

Thanks for that, I know a few pep's who work for local wildlife conservation group. And could point me in the right direction.

Try the National Hedelaying Association website for local contractors, you may be able to sub it out and use it as a learning experience to get some training at the same time.

It's much like tree work, if done badly, it stands out like a sore thumb! If it's the wrong style in the wrong part of the country, then ooooooooooooooooo the purists (like me) will frown lol.

NCFE, Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trusts all provide very resonably priced training courses too.

Get hold of NHLS and look up contractors in your area. and get one of them to help you out laying it and learn at the same time.

hedgelaying is done by the mtr depending on size of stems in hedge and style never do it on a day rate. but do not try and do it it may look simple but hawthorn like any thorn if its getting on will snap off if the pleaches are not done correctly.

if you need any more help please pm me and will put you in touch with a local cutter.

PLEASE get hold of a NHLS member they are experianced cutters and those who do training do a training course to be a trainer. you will learn more from one of our members than any voly group. i have not heard good reports re training given by some volenteer groups.

Edited by hedgesparrow