New double ended chainsaw bars from GB

Rob D

GB double ended bars...

As said in another thread I have started reimporting GB bars into the UK.

GB (Griffiths and Beerens) are an Australian bar manufacturer with a lot of experience and good reputation. To cut a long story short the company went through some turbulent times and now is run and directed by Tom Bereens. 6/7 years ago (have not got exact date) Tom built his own factory out in China and started making guidebars out there. I think there were a couple of years of finding his feet but he is now producing good quality bars again - mainly for harvesters.

So although yes these bars are made in China they are at Tom's own factory which he lives next door to to oversee everything - I've been using a double ended bar with a Husky 395XP and Husky 372XP and it's worked very well.

These GB bars are a lot better priced than the competition and existing Granberg bars I currently sell.

Double ended bars available here:

Products for the category: Double ended bars

Vid of a setup using 395XP and 372XP

So some things to note:

• One aspect of milling that puts many off is having to buy a massive chainsaw that will only be used for milling. What if you could use x2 existing saws? What if these saws are not the same - will it still work?

There's a lot of myths and talk on double ended chainsaw milling - the saws need to be revving the same etc etc.

In practice I have found they don't. So you can set up with say an MS361 and MS660 or x2 MS260s etc etc.

• you may have to change the drive rim ie. on smaller saws like say you have a 260 and 361 - you will need to change the 361 to 3/8" or the 260 to 3/8"...
  • inboard sprockets are a pain - you can get away with one end having an inboard sprocket but I don't think both... too hard to get the chain around when fitting
  • drive link counts vary depending on saws used so need to be prepared to shorten or lengthen chain
  • bars are made with a multi mount - you'll need spacers for Husky saws which will be supplied. Husky saws will need to have the D009 mount ie saws 65cc +. Stihl saws from MS260+ will also need a spacer (again can be supplied with bar).

So in the range I have now there is:

87" - to fit the Alaskan 72" mill and give 70" cutting width.

72" - to fit the Alaskan 56" mill and give 54" cutting width.

60" - to fit the Alaskan 48" mill and give 48" cutting width.

50" - to fit the Alaskan 36" mill and give 34" cutting width.

Bear in mind ordering this today for a job tomorrow will be a recipe for problems - getting set up takes some thought and time and as said the chain may need to be altered.

With this in mind I'm offering free chain breaker and free chain mender (RRP £132+vat - yes FREE) with every GB double ended bar ordered.

Here's video of how to break and mend chain

Other accessories like different anvils etc available here Products for the category: Breaking and mending

Each chain with the bar will be supplied with some extra chain links and joining links - chains will need to be ordered here Custom chain loops

How do I know how many links there are - only tells me the .404 drive link count?

You'll have to do a calculation or ask - ie. to get a .325 drive link count for a 50" GB double ended bar:

Takes 138 drive links of .404 chain. 138x.404 = 55.752

55.752/.325 = 171.54 so 172 drive links. It's not foolproof but gives an idea.

:biggrin:

2.jpg.7af8050c83c4120d28f67f282b9f0da5.jpg

59766aa50755a_2014-09-0916_28_06.jpg.2408d702359915d4c9648782357168f0.jpg

24549A.jpg.4e7d2d864a58a69cb206d5666634e58a.jpg

24548A.jpg.b3f03add9ee3e4cf977a4b11077e3b69.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful videos, very informative. At smaller size mills -36" say- is a double ended mill, with two smaller saws still more productive than a larger single ended saw?

Hmmmm.... not sure - it would be close I think as cc wise with say 2x MS260 you'd have the same power as an MS880.

It's more for avoiding buying the big saw on that sort of size mill/bar combo.

:001_smile:

How long is the offer on for rob I missed this post

Hi Martin - it will be an ongoing one this for a month or so I think - it's a new idea that takes a bit of digesting so don't expect too many people to jump on it...

:001_smile:

So they will fit on my 2. 076 easy

I was playing with the idea of putting a grandberg one on them as u no but work has become mostly tree work and not much milling :-(

At GB prices it can be a toy to me if u no what I mean

Don't get much call for milling 30inch+ and I find the 42inch on the 48inch mill does most things for me

My thinking is make the most out the 48inch mill and speed up 30inch+ stuff with 2. 076

What u think mate

So they will fit on my 2. 076 easy

I was playing with the idea of putting a grandberg one on them as u no but work has become mostly tree work and not much milling :-(

At GB prices it can be a toy to me if u no what I mean

Don't get much call for milling 30inch+ and I find the 42inch on the 48inch mill does most things for me

My thinking is make the most out the 48inch mill and speed up 30inch+ stuff with 2. 076

What u think mate

Yep - that should be a fast set up indeedy!

Can you get the harvester bars Rob? Would like to try one. Treetop forestry already claim to :confused1:

I don't think I'll get involved with the Harvester bars side of things as don't really know much about them and don't feel I can give the same advice and backup...