Chain & Bar combination

Fiskar

Hi folks,

Have me an MS 261 and a new MS 291.

On the MS 261 is a 16" bar, .325", 1.6mm and for a 67 link chain

On the MS 291 is a 16" bar, 3/8", 1.6mm and for a 60 link chain.

The 261 appears to have a rim sprocket and the 291 has a regular toothed sprocket.

On the MS 261 the chain is a .325" 26 RSC 67 link.

On the MS 291 the chain is a 3/8" 36RS 60 link.

Which saw has the better chain? I think the 261.

As they both have the same power I feel the .325 cuts better than the chain bar combo on the MS 291.

If I want the same chain that I use on the MS 261 on the MS 291, do I need to change to a rim sprocket of same teeth as the MS 261, the bar and of course the chain on the MS 291?

The 261 is slightly more powerful but lighter than the 291.

The 2014 Stihl catalogue has the 291 running 325 and using the same bar and drive link count as the 261.

I can't help you with sprocket part numbers but you should be able to do what you want.

Will the 261 clutch drum fit on the 291 ?

From what I can see, the 261 will take a rim or spur sprocket of either 3/8 or 0.325. On a saw of this size a 0.325 would be a reasonable choice.

The 291 appears to only have a spur sprocket available and the 0.325 has the part number 1141 640 2001 so to make your 291 run on the same bar and chain as the 261, you will need to purchase a new 0.325 sprocket.

This is the 7T option, there is also a 8T option - the parts list is here - http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2848953/ms271-parts-list-pdf-june-3-2011-11-09-am-704k?da=y

Thanks guys,

Spud, If I change the sprocket do I need to change the bar for .325 chain? Do you have the parts list for a 261?

Saw Troll, noticed that straight away, no captive nuts, no de-compression valve, plastic cover on the 291, even the air filter was cheapo.

261 is my favourite saw, such power and does not bog down. Will use it for bucking and the 291 for sawing into logs. Will suss out the combinations as per the link.

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Spud, If I change the sprocket do I need to change the bar for .325 chain? Do you have the parts list for a 261?

Saw Troll, noticed that straight away, no captive nuts, no de-compression valve, plastic cover on the 291, even the air filter was cheapo.

261 is my favourite saw, such power and does not bog down. Will use it for bucking and the 291 for sawing into logs. Will suss out the combinations as per the link.

Thanks

If the sprocket or rim is say 0.325" then the bar MUST be a 0.325 one, you also need to match the chain gauge to the bar as well - 1.6mm is common on most bigger Stihls so in short, the sprocket/rim, bar and chain have to be matched in pitch & gauge plus drive link count for the chain.

Try this for the MS261

Clutch Assembly for Stihl MS261 | L&S Engineers

The bar and chain bit is easy - not sure about the drive sprocket - Oregon do plenty for the MS290 but not sure if the MS291 shares the same sprockets...

In fact I think they don't match - so need to find out if they do a .325 rim and sprocket and will be a Stihl part (unless someone knows for def if an oregon sprocket fits).

:001_smile:

Genuine Stihl Spur Sprocket MS261 MS271 MS291 MPN 1141 640 2001 .325" 7T Tracked | eBay

This is the part number spud recommended .

According to Kwikchip this sprocket fits 261 and 291.

There fore your sprockets should be inter changeable.

If that is the case , then order a 261" power mate " clutch drum with 325 and 3/8 rims.