New career with intention of an NZ move

Luke Whitehouse

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for some help in changing my career and hopefully becoming an avid member of this forum.

I’m currently 24 and based in the west midlands, I’m looking to become a qualified Arborist with the intention of moving to New Zealand within the next 2 years. I have no previous experience in the industry. I’d like to hear your guys advice on the below if possible?

• Do UK tickets mean anything in NZ? I have asked this question to potential employers abroad

• Is it worthwhile me training in the UK or should I just start fresh in NZ?

• I was thinking of doing the Proclimber course but due to the financial commitment I need to be sure of its benefit to me now and for when I move

• Do you feel that the course would be a good method for me to enter the trade

• What could I do within the UK to increase my employability in the industry in NZ and for my time working here in the UK?

This is not just a whim for me, I’m really dedicated on changing my career to something that I love and I’m willing to invest and do what it takes. I’m just looking for some input from people in the know.

Any help is really appreciated,

Luke

Hiya mate and welcome to arb talk. I think the pro climber course is a good way to learn, but very intense or, you could do the 10 week course at merrist wood also a very good course and intensive. I think before making the plunge to New Zealand, I would think about getting qualified first and getting a few years experience before making the move. Hope this helps mate all the best in your quest and I hope it works out for you :thumbup:

If you are dead set on the move then I think NZ is a fantastic place to train. I studied Hort at Merrist wood and after emigrating to NZ I moved to arb and trained at Wintec in Hamilton, mainly because it was close to where I live, it just so happens it is also one of the best places in the world to train as an arborist. They have courses for level 3 & 4 which cover everything you would need to become an employable arborist. They also have a level 6 course which I am currently doing now.

There is a training facility at Otago Polytechnic for the level 3 & 4, but the courses aren't nearly as in depth.

I'm not sure how much weight the quals hold from one country to another, but I got some of my level 5 hort papers credited to my level 3, 4 and 6 arb quals with ease. If you want to work in NZ permanently then I guess training here would be best. However without a residents visa the fees will be high.

I defeintely would make sure:

1. You want to be an arborist

2. You want to move abroad

You can't really make a desicison otherwise. Anyway, I can't recommend NZ or Wintec enough, it's a great country with good opportunities, but like anything even if you are trained you end up starting at the bottom on average wages, unless you want to be your own boss.

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for some help in changing my career and hopefully becoming an avid member of this forum.

I’m currently 24 and based in the west midlands, I’m looking to become a qualified Arborist with the intention of moving to New Zealand within the next 2 years. I have no previous experience in the industry. I’d like to hear your guys advice on the below if possible?

•Do UK tickets mean anything in NZ? I have asked this question to potential employers abroad

•Is it worthwhile me training in the UK or should I just start fresh in NZ?

•I was thinking of doing the Proclimber course but due to the financial commitment I need to be sure of its benefit to me now and for when I move

•Do you feel that the course would be a good method for me to enter the trade

•What could I do within the UK to increase my employability in the industry in NZ and for my time working here in the UK?

This is not just a whim for me, I’m really dedicated on changing my career to something that I love and I’m willing to invest and do what it takes. I’m just looking for some input from people in the know.

Any help is really appreciated,

Luke

Get your NPTC qualifications, then come out here, a couple of years experience will see you right I think.