Where to buy small quantities of hardwood unseasoned/uncut

mike3k

Don't think anybody is wishing to rain on your parade. I did a similar calculation for a gasification boiler for my place. I get free wood and burn around 6 cu metres per year. I was horrified by the real world experience of people using these. I ended up recognising that I'd become a full time supplier of my own firewood and most of my plot would be taken up with processing and seasoning. So it isn't for me.

It maybe for you, if the sums add up but the boiler's aren't cheap so unless the wood is free the economics don't always make much sense. Guess your comments about a couple of Transit vans full made me think how long that would take to get the 30 cu metres you need to get started!!

Don't think anybody is wishing to rain on your parade. I did a similar calculation for a gasification boiler for my place. I get free wood and burn around 6 cu metres per year. I was horrified by the real world experience of people using these. I ended up recognising that I'd become a full time supplier of my own firewood and most of my plot would be taken up with processing and seasoning. So it isn't for me.

It maybe for you, if the sums add up but the boiler's aren't cheap so unless the wood is free the economics don't always make much sense. Guess your comments about a couple of Transit vans full made me think how long that would take to get the 30 cu metres you need to get started!!

lol no worries no one has rained on my parade :)

Depends on how big your install is. 30 cu meters, there is about a third more than i should need. Only needing a 25Kw boiler with 1500L store between 18-22 cu meters per annum should do. And less once i have solar thermal installed along side. Price wise, depends who you get to install your system and where from. Allot of UK firms are making ALLOT of money out of some folk. Mine should'nt be much more than an oil install once complete.

anyways i guess i'm no further along finding a local/ish supplier of smaller quantity un processed timber. :001_rolleyes:

Contact local tree firms, I know Im always grateful of a site where I can tip logs if its more local than the yard, providing access is good and you can get in at random times

Will try that also thanks. Not got a yard or anything just a front driveway.

Well done on the installation Mike. We went for a Stovax Stockton 16 in the house and plumbed in a thermal store. We run our whole (large isolated farm) house on it. I estimate to use 15 to 20 tonnes a year of seasoned hardwood, although we find bone dry soft wood heats the water real hot, real quick. Your boiler will be more efficient than the stove and therefore use less fuel. We bit the bullet and tripled our log shed size to accommodate three years worth of burning. Good luck with the supply, try your local saw mills.