ID Please

alliaria

Tricky one this, its spore print appears to be white, there is very good and rapid wood deposition around the zone so I wouldnt be panicky about the tree itself. If it has been reduced, and withstood the storms this year I would opt for a good second reduction as you say with a few to retrenching it and reaching a almost pollard state over a few prunes.

as for the identity of the fungi we will need more close ups of the material.

it would be a crime and tragedy to fell this magnificent tree, and not at all needed, in my opinion, providing the work is done right.

Hi Tony,

I completely agree, I had a pulling test (SIA) done in 2012 and the results were marginal, hence the reduction. I have suggested another test so the two sets of results can be collated and any deterioration recorded but this was deemed too expensive in these straitened times.

The last reduction was fairly sensitive, about 10%, this time it would be more like 20%.

Unfortunately I am no longer responsible for this tree as we have moved to area working and this is not one of mine'

The officer responsible now is adamant that the tree should come down.

http://www.flac.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Monograph-on-Meripilus-giganteus.pdf

Interesting article from JFL. Note the second form of Meripilus, which he suggests is not linked with ill health, in fact rather than behaving parasitically, it behaves saprotrophically. Essentially, felling may be resisted. Have you see it in the root collar/roots or only at that point? Is there anything else going on? Could you improve the rooting environment?

Hi Adam, I am aware of the theory of two forms of Meripilus. However I do not know how to differentiate them.

I have never seen any fruiting bodies on the ground, the pictures are from 3 years ago.

There are signs of nascent FBs but they are very reduced. A large Beech tree failed in the same park about 10 years ago, the stump is a wonderful colony of Meripilus, but there is a tarmac path and wall separating the two trees.

I have considered mulching to the drip line, but do not really consider that the rooting zone is overly compacted,it only has a pedestrian footfall, but I understand the benefits.

The main issue is persuading my managers to spend money on retaining this very important tree I think it can be managed but spending in the region of £2000 to pull, reduce and mulch seems to be a step too far for them.

I can understand the reticence, how long has this tree got left? Cost benefit analysis etc. etc.