Phytophthora Control by Soil Inoculation? Old News!

treeseer

Just ran across this research from 17 years ago: http://auf.isa-arbor.com/request.asp?JournalID=1&ArticleID=2766&Type=2

Why is this disease met with fear and chainsaws?

How is it that there is still such skepticism about changing the soil to help the tree?

because arbs are rigid in mind, because arbs make thier money via a chainsaw, because soil is a dirty word

How do you change/ improve the soil around thousands of hectares of young to mature trees trees on difficult terrain (notably Wales and Scotland)?

artificialy speed up natures processes, the succession, use natures policies, use its employees who are all fit for the purpose of soil building:001_cool:

Ok, think I understand but wild this work with p. ramorum and how would you roll it out at speed ( considering the rapidity it seems to have spread at ) . Incidentally how are the lawsons 18 or so yrs on?

Argh I misunderstood, one might look to the soil as in Dr Lee Klingers sudden oak life work

Ok, think I understand but wild this work with p. ramorum and how would you roll it out at speed ( considering the rapidity it seems to have spread at ) . Incidentally how are the lawsons 18 or so yrs on?

I don't think it would work on P. ramorum as it's an air bourn infection which enters through the foliage and causes the tree to die very quickly.

From what I know of P. lateralis it's a soil bourn infection which enters through the roots and is slower acting. Hence soil treatment may have an effect.

An important factor to consider with regard to the various Phytophthora's is making the distinction between Woodland trees and Amenity ones. If an amenity tree is of value (to the owner,neighborhood,has historic value etc) then the potential for treating the soil and/or tree is not only feasible but practical. In a Woodland or Forest environment it is not.

Arboriculture deals with the well being of an individual tree and on that basis soil and canopy treatments are valid and necessary to maintain diversity in the urban environment.