Not seen this before..can I chop it off

NickinMids

Hi folks...started a re pollard today of a lime which is TPO'd. Got permission and all that, but when I got to the main crotch area I noticed that two of the five main stems have narrowed and become flat in the vertical plane. Almost like faciation that you see on Forsythia stems. After the initial flattening they return to large round stems and it looks to me like weak points.. Pics posted below but my question is can/should I remove the limbs as defects and tell tree officer after....should I abort work and let him have a look or should I just carry on and re pollard/ re reduce but ensure Im tied in to a better limb

597669b5d1a7c_photo(10).jpg.782cd12e9f57016e684b0cc024025206.jpg

lime1.jpg.837aece86ca7741d66fadde7dc2fa549.jpg

597669b5cdaf6_photo(5).jpg.2e677f66fb41774a2f6dcf559b5e6bb2.jpg

I'd say not uncommon branch buttressing for the species, possibly exaggerated by the dead areas. Die back along top of branches not that unusual on pollards, somebody with more knowledge than me might be able to provide an explanation. Guess it might be due to sap wood drying out after cutting.

Wouldn't recommend removing the branches as not included in TPO consent. Can only do minimum works to make safe if considered an imminent hazard - re-pollarding will presumably remove any immediate risk of failure, can then decide on future management.

The removal of the branches would not be exempt if the danger is not imminent. If you think they would be ok for the next 8 weeks then there is no reason you can't submit an app. I wouldn't think the TO would let you completely remove them either due to the size of the wounds, probably just reduce end weight if they are an issue.

Thanks Chris Will complete the re reduction which will reduce end weight and then mention it to the TO.

Logjam and Tim. Very impressed with powers of observation and deduction. Was just the leg loop and I quickly re clipped after photos. no flies on you guys